People who have a habit of going out with Everyday Carry, or EDC, items such as pocket knives know the importance of carrying one around. Having one of the best pocket knives will help you get small things done. For those who don’t, they may find it strange or may be intimidated by people who roam about with a concealed cutting tool like a folding knife.
But there are so many things you can do with a pocket knife. Of course, we do not claim that you can’t do the simplest tasks without it, no. But there is so much more fun, excitement, a feeling of satisfaction and joy in being able to do something with a tool that you carry around with.
Well, not everyone will agree to what we’re talking about here. So we want to explore the subject of best pocket knives in further detail. Today we’re going to discuss everything about pocket knives.
Table of contents:
Before we review the best pocket knives for 2020, here are the criteria we kept in mind when picking the knives:
- Material and sharpness of the blade
- The overall quality of the knife
- Customer reviews
Each pocket knife on our list has been reviewed by expert reviewers who have tested them in real-life conditions.
In our opinion the best pocket knives are:
- Kershaw Olive Black Pocket Knife
- Kizer Knife
- Castillo Every Day Carry
- Katsu Japanese Razor Pocket Folding Knife
- Kershaw Scallion EDC
- SOG Wood Pocket Knife
- Myerchin Knife
- James The Folsom Straight Knife all Black
- Benchmade Bugout Pocket Knife
- Benchmade Griptilian Knife
Let’s get on with the best pocket knives reviews.
Top 10 Best Pocket Knives Reviewed
When it comes to EDC items such as folding knives, you would want to have something you can rely on. And the Kershaw pocket knife is one of the best pocket knives for everyday use.
The brand itself should make you look twice. They offer incredibly cool products at affordable prices. The Olive Black pocket knife is undoubtedly amongst their best products.
- Made of high-quality steel – This knife was built using a unique material, the Sandvik 14C28N steel. This is super tough steel which is highly durable and remains incredibly sharp even after several uses. 14C28N steel has an outstanding reputation. It is also in high demand because of its ability to resist corrosion.
- Diamond-like carbon coating – Also known as DLC coating, the Diamond-like carbon coating adds beauty to the knife. It also makes the blade extra tough, more resistant to wear, and corrosion.
- Secure locking mechanism – Equipped with a liner locking system on the inside of both handle scale, the blade can be safely secured. There is no chance of causing an accidental blade closure.
- Durable handle – Made of high-quality anodized aluminum, the Kershaw olive black pocket knife offers outstanding gripping capabilities. The handle is also very durable.
- Reversible pocket clip, very convenient to carry
- Solidly built
- Good looking knife
- Great customer reviews
- Some users reported having issues with the locking mechanism
If you’re looking for a lightweight, easy deployment, and a beautiful EDC pocket knife, then you should consider this one. The Kizer folding knife is also a perfect pick if you want to gift someone who is a frequent outdoor goer.
It is simple, sturdy and incredibly sharp. It also looks great, which makes it a cool item to buy as a gift.
- Stainless Steel blade – The Kizer knife has a blade that is made of stainless steel that has high anti-corrosion/anti-rust properties. It also ensures that the blades retain its sharpness after several uses.
- Quick and responsive deployment – With a caged ceramic ball bearing pivot, the blade can be deployed swiftly whenever it is needed.
- G10 handles – The grip quality of this knife is excellent in all kinds of weather conditions. The G10 handle also renders is with excellent longevity.
- Available in various colors – The blade is stainless steel that has shiny, silver-like color. The handle is available in several colors like blue, black, and olive green.
- Affordable, great value for money
- Good customer ratings
- Has color options
- Solidly built
- It comes with only one pocket clip option
This product is, without a doubt, one of the best pocket knives for everyday use. It has all the essential features of a good folding knife. It also has a very stylish design.
By purchasing this product, you can be proud that you’re supporting various organizations like the American knife and tool institute, the Planet, and the Conservation Alliance. Castillo is a part of these organizations.
- Sturdy and durable blade – The Castillo EDC knife has a blade that’s made of one of the most robust pocket knife steel which is Sanvik 14C28N. Irrespective of what you need to cut, you can be sure that you have a blade that’s super strong and sharp. It also does not corrode easily.
- Lock back design – This simple yet practical design ensures that you’ll have maximum safety when using this tool. With a secure locking mechanism, the blade remains in place firmly, so you can use the blade with confidence.
- Accessories – One of the best things about this knife is that it comes with several accessories like pocket sheath and Lanyard made of leather, 320 grit sharpening stone, Single-use Ballistol wipes, and a Castillo sticker.
- Small and lightweight knife
- Comes with accessories
- Extremely durable blade
- Pretty expensive for a pocket knife
This one is amongst the best small pocket knife on our top 10 list. It has a very stylish and unique appearance. It is also one of the very few folding knives that have both the blade and the handle made of the same material.
- Bamboo style Damascus steel – As its name suggests, the knife has stylish bamboo like design which makes it look very cool. Both the blade and the handle are made of Damascus steel which is super tough, and durable.
This makes it not only beautiful. It also provides an excellent grip and makes it extra durable. It is one of the main reasons why this one makes a great folding tactical knife.
- Accessories – Katsu comes with a tough -tear-resistant genuine leather sheath, and one Hessian sack. Carrying around is very simple, comfortable, and convenient.
- Pocket clip – This stunning folding knife also has a pocket clip. If you don’t want to carry a leather sheath, you can simply clip it to your pocket.
- Full steel construction
- Added accessories
- Easy and smooth operation
- Pretty heavy as its entirely made with steel
It’s no doubt that Kershaw is one of the best pocket knife brands, and it’s the reason why we have another Kershaw product on our list. This is a small pocket knife that can be customized before purchasing. You can choose to engrave a name on the handle which makes it perfect for a gift as well.
- Durable and corrosion-resistant – Made of 420HC Stainless Steel, the blade is capable of withstanding a lot of abuse. It can handle even the worst weather conditions as it is resistant to rust and corrosion.
- Opens quickly and safely – Equipped with an ambidextrous flipper, the blade can be opened safely and quickly by a left-handed or a right-handed person.
- Safety lock – Has a liner lock and a tip lock that keeps the blade in place whether it’s closed or opened.
- Customization option
- Excellent operation
- Has color options
- The locking mechanism may pose a learning curve for first-time users of pocket knives
This EDC foldable knife has a classic wooden handle which makes it look rustic and cool at the same time. It’s a folding tactical pocket knife that you can carry around discreetly if you want to.
- High-quality blade – The SOG wood pocket knife features an AUS 8 Stainless Steel blade which can last for many decades if it is taken good care of.
- Lock back and assisted-one hand open – Assisted tech power (Twitch II open fast) allows you to open the blade easily with one hand quickly. Also, the Lockback secures the blade in place, providing extra safety.
- Rosewood handle – Beautifully carved and polished wooden handle ensures durability and firm grip. It also provides extra strength to the structure.
- Accepts repair and replacement requests
- Extremely durable
- Solidly build a pocket knife
- Smooth operation
- It requires a lot of maintenance
If you require a foldable knife which has one of the toughest blades, you’re looking at the right one. This is a lightweight, super tough, and affordable pocket knife which is in high demand.
- Corrosion proof and extremely durable blade – If you want a knife that can take a lot of abuse or harsh treatment, consider the Myerchin pocket knife. Its blades are made of Titanium and German Marine Stainless Steel which is ridiculously tough and durable. With a little bit of care, this tool can easily last for a lifetime.
- Pocket clip – To ensure that is convenient to carry, the manufacturers built in a pocket clip so you can attach it securely to your pocket. It also comes with a nylon sheath.
- Springless locking mechanism – For more safety, this knife is equipped with a springless locking device that holds or secures the blade in place.
- Tested in the harshest weather conditions on earth
- Highly durable and reliable
- Comes with a sheath and a pocket clip
8. James The Folsom Straight Knife all Black.
- Not meant for heavy use as the blade is shorter than 3 inches
James brand was created by a group of adventurers and designers who were looking for greater and better things. This knife which they created is a reflection of their love and passion for life, and it’s valued. In addition to using the best materials, every detail is beautiful.
- High-quality blade – Built with CTS-BD1 stainless steel, the James Folsom pocket knife blade holds an edge. It can easily last for many years or even a lifetime.
- Ambidextrous blade opening Slot – Left-handed or right-handed? No worries, you can use either hand to utilize this knife. It also has a reversible clip which means you can choose to carry it whichever side you want.
- Safety Features – The James Folsom pocket knife offers serious gripping capabilities and a steel liner lock which keeps the blade from closing up accidentally.
- Designed for both left-handed or right-handed
- Excellent quality knife, almost flawless
- Incredibly smooth performance
9. Benchmade Bugout Pocket Knife.
- A bit pricey
Our list of top 10 pocket knife would be incomplete without a Benchmade knife. The bugout is a simple design yet ergonomically. It is perfect for anyone who is an outdoor lover.
- Lightweight – The knife is solidly built. It is incredibly tough, but it’s also very lightweight. Thanks to the CPM S30 V steel, is durable and corrosion-resistant.
- Ambidextrous handle – Can be used by anyone right-handed or left-handed. It is because of the cleverly designed handle, which is ambidextrous.
- Axis locking mechanism – For a butter-smooth operation and maximum safety, has an axis locking mechanism. It ensures that the blade can be opened and closed effortlessly.
- Reversible clip and a lanyard hole – the Benchmade Bugout pocket knife has a convenient carry option. You can either use the lanyard hole, or a reversible pocket clip to carry it anywhere you want.
- Operates as smooth as butter
- Allows both left and right-handed people
- Has a lifetime warranty
- A perfect addition to EDC collection
10. Benchmade Griptilian Knife.
- A bit expensive
The last one on our list is another cool pocket knife from one of the best pocket knife brands, Benchmade. This one has a blade that is black coated, and a handle that is OD olive Green.
Similar to other well-reputed knives from the brand, the Benchmade Griptilian too is a solidly built knife that was tested in the worst weather conditions.
- High-quality blade – Made of CPM-S30V steel, is built to last for many years. It’s also resistant to rust and corrosion.
- Versatile handle – With an ambidextrous handle, can be used comfortably by anyone – left-handed or right-handed.
- Sooth and secure locking system – The blades can be secured in place safely with a cleverly designed locking mechanism. This adds more to the safety and allows the blade to function smoothly.
- High-quality product
- Great feedback from customers
- Incredibly smooth operation
- Extremely durable
- It weighs over 6 ounces, which is pretty heavy for its size.
Why do you need a pocket knife?
If you’re an adventurous person who spends a lot of time outdoors, you may already know the reasons why a folding tactical knife is essential. But, if you don’t find it important or necessary, maybe we can change your mind.
Here are some of the reasons why a pocket knife is an absolute Everyday Carry.
- In case of an emergency.
Life is unpredictable. We never know what we will encounter during our adventures in the wild. Although we do not intend to instill a sense of fear into the minds of others, it’s always better to be prepared to meet any sort of crisis or situation.
No matter where you go, there can still be any kind of trouble or unfavorable conditions where you may need a pocket knife.
- There may be a situation where you may need a cutting tool to free someone
- You may have to cut fabric to dress someone’s wounds
- Even in the case of a car accident, you may need a knife to cut the seatbelt or smash the glass to climb out.
If you love fishing, you understand the importance of having a folding tactical knife. It’s almost impossible and impractical for a fisherman to go out fishing without a lightweight pocket knife. It works in several ways including cutting the line, taking out hooks, and other similar tasks.
A knife is the most crucial tool for campers. It serves as a survival tool when out in the wild. Whether you want to butcher a wild game, cut fruits, and vegetables, open cans, or set up a tent, you’re going to need a knife.
- Open boxes, cans or other packages.
Some packages come very well packed. It can be tough to open them with just your bare hands. You can quickly and conveniently open a box, letters, or other packages with a lightweight pocket knife.
As you can see, an EDC pocket knife is not just a vital utility at home. It is a necessity when camping or engaged with any sort of activities in the wilderness.
Of course, a small pocket knife is not a tool that can replace other favorite devices. But it sure can make your life much more convenient, and a lot easier.
How to pick the best pocket knife.
If you’ve come this far, then it’s evident that you’ve realized the importance of carrying a folding pocket knife. But if you are new to this field of picking the best knives, this task can be a daunting challenge.
It is because there are hundreds of different types of knives with varying designs, sizes, and shapes. But knowing at least a few basic things will help you narrow down the choices.
This is why we have compiled a few things which you need to consider when looking for a small pocket knife.
This is what most people look for when looking for a knife. There are lots of different types of shapes, sizes, and designs including – straight, plain, hooked, curved, just to name a few.
When it comes to size, shape, color, or design, it’s up to you too. You can make your selection according to your liking or preference.
The best blade for a pocket knife material is stainless steel. You need to make sure that the blade is made of high-quality stainless steel. The better the quality of the steel, the more durable your knife will be.
Carbon steel is another good material used to make knife blades. It is easy to sharp. It is also more durable.
But blades made of carbon steel need more care and maintenance.
- Locking mechanism.
Pocket knives are usually equipped with a folding mechanism. Generally, nine out of ten knives have a locking mechanism that holds the blade in place when it is opened.
This locking device is what prevents the blade from folding when the knife is being used. When the blade is in a folded position, this mechanism also prevents the blade from being opened accidentally. There are at least three different types of lock found in pocket knives.
But regardless of their type, they all serve the same purpose. So it’s not a big deal. It’s best to look for a knife that has an excellent locking mechanism. This will add more safety. It is also more convenient.
The structural integrity of folding knives depends mainly on the handle. If you’re looking for a knife that has more polished, and refined looks, you can opt for the ones that have a handle made of wood or bone.
However, bear in mind that knives which have a handle made of metal or other synthetic materials are much stronger. They can also withstand a lot of abuse or heavy use.
A pocket knife is an indispensable tool. It is one of those multifunctional items that you require even if you don’t venture further than your backward.
We hope this post gave you some insights into this small yet practical tool.