Coffee has become an internet sensation! The collaboration of popular cafes and social media, especially Instagram, has made Milk-based drinks a trend. Moreover, you cannot deny the fact that they look beautiful and taste delicious as well!
Adding to this trend, the DIY or Do It Yourself attitude of people is compelling people to try these recipes out at home. This makes 2021 the best time to buy yourself a milk frother! In this article, we have brought together some of the best handheld milk frothers 2021.
Don’t get carried away! If you’re new to all of this, we have got you covered. With an extensive explanation of what milk frothers are, how to use them, what to look for in them, and so much more, you cannot go wrong!
Before jumping into the reviews, let’s first clarify some questions you might have regarding milk frothers. This will help you judge and decide what is best for you and therefore help you make the investment worthwhile!
Table of Contents
- What is a milk frother?
- What are the different types of milk frothers?
- Which milk frother do you need?
- Does temperature matter?
- Does the type of milk matter?
- List of the best handheld milk frothers in 2021
- Milk Frother Buying Guide
- Frequently asked questions
- Can milk frother act as a milk heater?
- Can frothers make cold foam?
- What kind of drinks can a frother make?
- Can frothers whisk other liquids and egg whites?
- Can milk frothers burn the milk?
- How to clean Milk frother?
- Are the stainless steel electric frothers safe?
- Related posts:
What is a milk frother?
Milk frothers are automated machines that whisk milk to aerate it. Aerating the milk incorporates tiny bubbles of air into it. This changes the texture of the milk into a heavy and thick foam. Initially, this was done by hand, but it took a long time to turn the milk into a heavy foam. Furthermore, the rigorous whisking was exhausting and painful as well.
Dedicated milk frothers came into the market to overcome these issues. They come in lots of different sizes and can froth different Milk quantities at a time depending upon their size. Therefore you can rest assured that you’ll find the exact type of milk frother that you want in no time!
What are the different types of milk frothers?
There are three main types of milk frothers out there in the market. The first type of milk frother is the manual pump style frother. This is a set of mesh attached to a plunger and a glass cup.
To use it, you need to fill up the cup with the desired portion of milk then pump the plunger rapidly. The faster you pump, the better the foam.
The second type of frother is the handheld motorized frother. These are small whiskers that are powered using batteries. They are small, portable, and are easy to use. All you need to do is measure the portion of milk you need in a tall cup, dip the whisk and let it do its job.
These types of whisks, though, make the work easy; it takes a couple of tries to get the exact consistency and quality of milk.
The third and final type is the electric milk frother. These are shaped in the form of mixers or food processors. These frothers use steam to froth up the milk and have many inbuilt features that let you curate precisely how you want your foam.
It is easy to use and provides excellent results, as well.
Which milk frother do you need?
This depends on two main things. First of all, it depends upon your own needs and secondly it depends upon the frother itself. The pump style and motorized are best if you want to make small portions of milk foam.
Furthermore, if you’re one of those who like to invest hard work and effort into making something, then the pump style frother is best suited for you. If used correctly, it can give you epic results, with the exact consistency.
With the handheld motorized frother, the shaft is of a particular length. Therefore you need to keep the level of milk well below the handle; otherwise, there’s a chance of spilling the milk.
With the electric milk frother, there is no such restriction. You can make large portions of milk within a low amount of time. This is the most suitable if you consume a lot of milk or a small to medium café!
Furthermore, with timers and other features, it removes most of the hassle and worries of ruining the milk as well, making it a fantastic fit for your frothy milk-based drink cravings!
Does temperature matter?
While making frothed milk, one of the most important things you should keep in mind is milk’s temperature. There is no hardcore, specific temperature to make frothed milk. It’s different for different cases and other uses.
The temperature should be within the range of about 139 to 149°F. The milk is at its most appropriate state at this range, enabling it to retain the maximum air/bubbles. First of all, fats within the milk melt at this temperature. This gives the milk a smooth texture and helps it to absorb air effortlessly.
Furthermore, at this temperature, the whey protein present within the milk is at a specific density. This further helps to regulate the amount of air that gets incorporated. Therefore you need to keep a keen eye on the temperature of the milk while frothing it.
If the milk is not within that temperature range, the frother might not produce desirable results. Either you can keep the milk temperature regulated by yourself or choose a milk frother that will do it for you!
Does the type of milk matter?
While frothing, you need to keep two types of milk handy. First of all, you can use low fat or skimmed milk if you want a very light and bubbly texture of your foam. The low amount of fat makes the milk foam up quickly and easily.
On the other hand, if you need a thick and creamy foam, then you need to use milk with medium to high-fat content. If you froth the fatty milk at the correct temperature, you’ll present yourself with a very creamy and thick foam, best suited for Lattes.
Therefore it’s evident that the type of frother alone cannot determine the quality of the foam. You need to keep the style and temperature of the milk in check as well. Keeping all these questions aside, let’s dive straight into the reviews of 15 of the best milk frothers in 2021!
List of the best handheld milk frothers in 2021
1. Breville BMF600XL Milk Café Handheld Milk Frother 2021 Model
This milk frother from Breville is a minimal looking frother with multiple uses. It is easy to use and has a large capacity; therefore, if you like to make coffee for friends, family, and more, this is the one to choose!
Furthermore, you can also choose to heat the milk or cold stir it without frothing the milk. This makes it a highly versatile milk frother.
- The frother uses induction to heat the milk, making it safe and hassle-free.
- There is an included temperature dial for proper adjustment.
- Thick froth attachments and smooth milk stir disks are included within the package.
- The frother is entirely dishwasher safe for hassle-free washing.
- The frother runs on a 110 to 120-volt current; therefore, it is incredibly energy efficient.
The hearing and cold stir features of this frother make it super convenient. Therefore if you like to make yourself or others a nice cup of coffee very often, pick this frother up this instant!
2. Nespresso Aeroccino4 Handheld Milk Frothers
This frother comes from the house of Nestle! With a large frothing space and multiple presets, the frother helps you recreate a large number of coffee recipes.
The all-metal bumped finish gives it a rugged look and build quality. Therefore if you need large quantities of froth milk frequently, this is the frother you need to get your hands on!
- The large container makes way for a large serving of foam.
- It has high durability due to the full metal build with the bumped finish.
- The frother has a unique cold foam function for cold coffees and other drinks.
- It has a total of 4 presets, making it versatile and useful.
- The frother is dishwasher safe making it easy to clean.
Therefore if you are an avid consumer of milk, hot or cold, this is the frother you need to choose! This lets you heat milk, make cold foam, and more. Using Aeroccino4, you can try out a lot of different recipes and have a lot of fun.
3. Casara Electric Milk Frother and Steamer for Cappuccino, Latte, Matcha, Hot Chocolate
The Casara Milk Frother has a professional look and feels to it. The combination of steel, white and black colors make it fit onto a designer kitchen top. Adding to the design, it has innovative features that make way for a tension-free milk heating/frothing experience!
The best part is that this model is the 2020 update, and it’s all ready to tackle every new recipe from 2021 as well!
- It has a professional and ergonomic design.
- The heating takes place through a proprietary induction technology which prevents the milk from scorching.
- This frother has a thick outer layer, which keeps its operation silent, keeping your kitchen peaceful.
- The frother can make foam suitable for Latte within 90 seconds, doing its service fast.
- It has an inbuilt indication LED, which lets you keep a check on the milk quickly.
- The frother has a special hot chocolate preset, which provides rich and creamy results.
- The container is not layered with any unique material that has tendencies of wearing off while cleaning. This makes it dishwasher safe and easy to clean.
This frother does its job in a calm, quiet, and refined manner. If you want a run and gun type of operation, this frother might be your ideal choice.
4. HadinEEon Electric Milk Frother & Steamer
The HadinEEon Milk Frother has an urban design that mixes excellent looks with intelligent functionality. The frother is fully automatic; all you need to do is press a button and stay stress-free!
The frother itself has three layers, a nonstick on the inside and plastic on the outside. These keep the stainless steel chamber safe and make way for clean and quiet foaming! Besides the product itself, the brand provides excellent customer service as well.
- The product has a large space for frothing milk.
- It has a unique one-click and a hassle-free system of operation.
- The frother is highly ergonomic and takes up little space within your kitchen.
- It comes bundled with two different whisks for precise control over your foam/froth.
- You might find it hard to get the right portions.
If you choose this frother, you won’t need to keep a check on your milk from time to time. This will automatically turn itself off once the optimum results are reached. Furthermore, the nonstick interior and heat resistant exterior makes way for a long-lasting build that you can rely on!
5. Nespresso Aeroccino3 Milk Frother
You can consider the Aeroccino3 to be the little brother of the Aeroccino4. It has a small, compact, and handy design that makes it highly portable and easy to store.
Furthermore, it is easy to use because it has a one-button operation and auto shut off functions. So, don’t think that it’s a downgrade, but think of it as a second option with its own set of perks!
- It has a highly portable design with a small dimension. This lets you store or carry the product with ease!
- The frother has only one button that lets you operate it without any hassle.
- The button has an integrated LED, which indicates if the frother is in hot mode or cold mode.
Therefore, if you travel a lot and you’re obsessed with milk foam, this is the frother you should rely on. With its small, compact dimensions and simple mechanism, it can make you quality froth within a matter of minutes.
6. AEVO Detachable and Handheld Milk Frother Machine
The all-black matte finish of the AEVO detachable milk frother makes it look awesome! Moreover, the frother has a two-button system that individually handles the heating and frothing functions.
The AEVO also comes with revolutionary technologies in the form of build materials and frothing mechanisms. This helps it produce high quality and fine froth faster than ever! Furthermore, with the help of advanced temperature sensors, it can regulate the milk’s temperature effectively.
- It has a sleek, high-quality matte finish, which looks fantastic and stays clean!
- The pitcher/container is made from Aluminum enabling it to heat faster than stainless steel.
- It uses a magnetic frothing system attached to the lid; this enables you to make good foam.
- It comes with an inbuilt NYC thermistor, enabling it to have precise temperature control and auto-shutoff functions.
- The pitcher is entirely dishwasher safe, and therefore it is easy to clean.
With its unique blend of technology and build materials, the AEVO is efficient and practical at the same time. Therefore if you’re a tech enthusiast who is in love with coffee, this one will be the right fit!
7. Miroco Detachable Milk Frother
Miroco is a brand known for its excellent milk frothers, and this detachable version upholds that trend. With its stainless steel body and robust induction heating base, this makes superior foam within minutes!
In a single sitting, the frother can heat 500ml of milk, or it can froth 250ml. Therefore you can easily make mochas or cappuccinos for three people! Furthermore, the thick stainless steel body makes way for silent frothing. Consequently, you can keep this on your coffee table for hassle-free serving.
- The large pitcher lets you obtain a generous serving for a group of people.
- The high-quality stainless steel body gives it a nice look and high longevity.
- This frother comes with temperature activated auto turn off function for safety.
- It comes with an included universal whisk, so you don’t need to change whisks every time.
Therefore if you want a frother that you can keep on the coffee table while you are with your friends, this is the one to choose! It’s large and quiet, making it ideal for long sessions of coffee.
8. Sboly Electric Milk Frother 2021
The Sboly milk frother aims at simplicity right off the bat! It’s simple design and operation makes it the best choice for easy handling. Its two-button system removes confusion and makes way for errorless operation.
Adding to these features, the Sboly also incorporates many functional design queues, which helps it be clean and safe.
- The Sboly milk frother has a proprietary lid design, which makes it both safe and leakproof at the same time.
- It has even weight distribution, which makes it both stable while in operation and easy to handle.
- It has a sensitive temperature sensing system that keeps the temperature in the sweet spot.
- The inner walls of the frother are lined with a nonstick lining to prevent scorching.
If you are one of those people who loves a cup of excellent coffee in the morning before starting your busy day, then the Sboly is your best partner. It is easy to use and makes high-quality foam quickly!
9. HadinEEon Milk Frother and Steamer
The HadinEEon has an angular design with its sharp edges and straight lines. This look makes it stand out and complements an urban kitchen design. With its robust induction and whisking, it can make Barista style foam within 2 minutes!
Furthermore, it comes with two types of whisks and two different modes for perfect control over your foam. You can also use this to heat your milk as well!
- The frother comes with heat and shock-resistant plastic for all-around protection.
- It has a specially crafted sprout, which lets you create fantastic coffee foam art.
- The different whisks and modes enable you to fine-tune the temperature and density of the foam.
- It can serve you with excellent frothed milk within 1 to 2 minutes thanks to its powerful induction heating system.
- The product is also backed up by fantastic customer service by the company.
Therefore if you want a reliable frother backed up by fantastic customer service, this could potentially be your best partner!
10. Milk Frother Miroco Soft Foam Maker
This is the second frother in our list from Miroco, and it’s a different offering. This is a highly compact design that makes it easy to handle. Furthermore, its low center of gravity makes it stable.
It comes with the usual two whisk system; therefore, it doesn’t require hard work for the operation. The stainless steel body lined with an inner nonstick coating gives it superior heat distribution and lets you clean it easily!
- It has a rigid stainless steel body in a compact design, making it highly portable and travel-worthy.
- The whisk is located very close to the base, making it ideal for small portions of milk.
- Inbuilt temperature sensors are enabling a sensitive auto-shutdown mechanism.
- The insulated design keeps the milk hot for a more extended period.
This milk frother from Miroco is for those looking for something that can withstand rough handling with ease. The model is easy to clean and has a durable body making it last longer.
11. HadinEEon 5 in 1 Magnetic Milk Frother
This is the third entry from HadinEEon in this list of frothers ready for 2021. The company backs up its products with high-quality materials and technology, thereby bringing a fantastic user experience.
The HadinEEon 5 in 1 frother brings five modes of operation and a proprietary magnetic heating/whisking function. Furthermore, only one button on the frother has multi-press parts making it easier than a long press system.
- The frother has a minimal design with a classy look, making it an excellent complement to work tables and kitchen tops.
- It has a revolutionary magnetic whisk and heating system which provides froth just the way you need it, thick or thin.
- This milk frother has four different operating styles and even lets you heat milk and make hot chocolate.
- It comes coupled with HadinEEon’s excellent customer service.
Therefore if you’re one of those who need a high degree of functionality from a compact frother, then this will be your best fit.
Furthermore, if in case something goes wrong, the company’s excellent customer service will back it up.
12. VAVA Milk Frother Electric Liquid Heater with Hot Milk Functionality
The VavaMolkFrother comes in a smooth, seamless design. The stainless steel body is complemented by black accents making it look professional. It seems even more remarkable when it is in operation due to the blue and red indicator LEDs.
It has a one-button system with extended press functions. Finally, it comes with a fantastic temperature detecting system from Strix. Therefore you don’t need to worry about ruined foam at all!
- It has a minimal design for excellent handling, cleaning, and heat retention.
- This handheld milk frother comes with bright indicator LEDs for hassle less frothing.
- It has a sensitive temperature sensing system for precise temperature control.
- High-quality whisks for fantastic foam production.
If you highly prioritize looks over anything else, then this frother is the one you should choose. It looks fantastic and might surprise you with its great foam as well.
13. Miroco Electric Milk Steamer Frother
Miroco has a wide range of frothers with unique quality. This frother is specially designed to be easy to handle and effortless to clean. It has a long flask like structure with wavy patterns that act as grips.
Furthermore, it has milk level indicators on the inside and a transparent lid that lets you keep a check on the milk. The frother’s inner walls are lined with a nonstick coating, which prevents the milk from sticking and burning.
- The transparent lid paired with the level indicators lets you prevent any mishaps.
- It has a nonstick coating lined on the inside to prevent scorching.
- The milk frother has a long flash like design, which makes it easy to carry around when you travel.
- It has the renowned Strix temperature sensor, which enables precise temperature control and safety features.
This is one of the best options if you want to have nice hot milk foam while you’re traveling somewhere!
14. HadinEEon Handheld Stainless Steel Milk Frother
Till now, you might have realized that HadinEEon is one of the most popular players in the world of milk frothers. This stainless steel milk frother is entirely made with stainless steel and comes in two colors!
With a 360° rotating base and auto shut options, you can set the frother as per your convenience within the kitchen. Heat or froth your milk within minutes with ease!
- The fully stainless-steel design comes in two colors, therefore choose as you like.
- It can heat up to 500ml of milk, enough for a whole family.
- It can also create 250ml of high-quality milk froth for your coffee cravings.
- The base is detachable, which makes cleaning an easy job.
- It has a fully automatic operation, which lets you stay tension free.
Therefore, if you want to have different color options in your hand, you should go for the HadinEEon.
15. Miroco Automatic Milk Frother
Miroco takes the last position in our list, not because it’s sub-par but because Miroco produces some of the best milk frothers out there. This entry is no different; it can provide you with soft, creamy, and bubbly froth within a matter of minutes.
Furthermore, it also comes with all the usual bells and whistles of a frother like multiple whisks, nonstick inner linings, a detachable base, and more!
- It comes from a trendy and trustworthy brand.
- It is effortless to clean due to the nonstick lining.
- This milk frother has a minimal design with a one-button system.
- It has different presets to let you create different styles of coffee and drinks.
If you’re one of those who are inclined towards simple things that can automate stuff, then this is the one you should choose!
Milk Frother Buying Guide
Features to look out for
In case you forgot what to look for while buying your very own frother, here is a small list of essential features that’ll let you quickly recap everything:
As discussed above, you must keep the milk within a temperature range of 139 to 149°F. Therefore, you should check whether the frother you’re choosing has a temperature sensor or not. All of the frothers listed above have either an automatic temperature controlling system or let you precisely select the temperature.
Though presets do not make any noticeable difference in the foam’s quality, it makes things a lot easier. Therefore if you find a frother with many presets inbuilt, you could go for it. Other than that, you can get those same outcomes by manually setting the correct figures.
The nonstick coating is kind of a double-edged sword. It helps keep the Milk safe from any burning and scorching. But on the other hand, you need to use soft mediums for washing and cleaning. Therefore, while buying a frother, you need to be prepared to handle it carefully.
The type of whisks
Some of the frothers come with different types of whisks that let you reach different consistencies of foam. Some even have the option to detach the whisk so that it can act as a heater. Therefore if you have such requirements, make sure that you take up a frother which provides you with these features.
Frequently asked questions
Can milk frother act as a milk heater?
Usually, every milk frother can act as a milk heater as well. While frothing milk, most of the machines use induction to heat the milk and a whisk to create the froth or the foam. Therefore, the frothers give you an option to remove the whisk or provides a dedicated milk heating preset. Using these, you can safely heat your milk.
Can frothers make cold foam?
Naturally, frothers can create cold froth. It achieves this by whisking the milk with high force. This method of creating cold foam takes a lot of time because the milk’s fats do not break-down, and the proteins remain in a congested form.
Therefore, if your frother has a dedicated cold foam button, you can rest assured that you can enjoy your cold milk delicacies with some creamy cold foam.
What kind of drinks can a frother make?
Frothers have different presets which lets you create up to five types of drinks:
- It can create caffé macchiato, which is also known as expresso macchiato. This drink contains a larger portion of coffee and is topped with some light and airy milk foam.
- Latte is another drink that your milk frother can create. It is a coffee-based hot drink that requires steamed milk and espresso. Milk art is created using dense and creamy foam to make the Latte more fun!.
- The third kind of drink is called cappuccino. This is another hot coffee drink that is made using expresso and steamed foam milk. This is one of the most common preparation of coffee that is consumed and produced using a frother.
- Some frothers also give you the option to add toppings within your heated milk. Using this, you can create hot chocolates and other milk-based drinks which do not require powerful whisking.
- The last kind of drink you can create with your frother is a cold coffee, top with some cold foam.
Can frothers whisk other liquids and egg whites?
Handheld milk frothers can whisk liquids that are similar to milk in terms of density. It will become quite challenging for them to whisk liquids that are largely thinner or thicker than milk. Some powerful handheld frothers can also whip creams and eggs.
The frothers listed here are electric frothers, which are not recommended to be used with anything other than milk.
Can milk frothers burn the milk?
Usually, milk frothers come with temperature sensors and an auto-shut mechanism. These mechanisms can intelligently shut down the frother if it realizes that the milk is going to get burned. All of the frothers listed above are coupled with this feature, and therefore you have nothing to worry.
How to clean Milk frother?
While buying a milk frother, you need to check if there is a nonstick lining on the inner walls. If you find that there is such a lining, you need to be careful while washing it. You shouldn’t use harsh detergents to clean the frother. Also, make sure that you use a soft sponge to rub the inner lining.
Are the stainless steel electric frothers safe?
Typically, electric frothers maintain different safety guidelines and therefore are well insulated. This insulation prevents the outer walls of the frother from becoming hot. Secondly, the frothers are also grounded so that the exterior walls don’t get electrified and you do not get a shock.
Milk frothers are one of those kitchen tools that you cannot live without once you buy them. It makes your life so much more manageable that it becomes essential to you. If you have a milk frother with you, your coffee sessions will have higher quality and standards.
Buying and choosing a good milk frother is not a hard job. The first reason being there are a lot of different frother models from which you can choose. There are thousands of other models in online stores such as Amazon.
Secondly, you have this curated review by your side, which will guide you through the most important features/aspects of a milk frother and help you choose the right one for yourself. To further ease any distress, the list created above has some of Amazon’s best milk frothers.
From brands like Morocco, HadinEEon, Nespresso, and more, it contains some of the best products from the most popular milk frother brands of 2020, and 2021. We have also included some less popular frothers because they have very high quality and durability, which is somewhat underrated.
The list covers milk frothers of different sizes, shapes, and colors. Therefore no matter what you like, you can find a suitable design for the year 2021 from the list. There are stainless steel frothers, colored frothers, accented frothers, and more.
Furthermore, the frothers also come in different shapes like long and slender or short and thick. Some designs offer high portability, while other plans offer more space and therefore higher servings. You can easily choose between which quality you require the most and get yourself a suitable frother.
Keeping design aside, you also get the option to choose frothers that have different build materials. From stainless steel to die-cast Aluminum, you get various options from where you can choose. This lets you have flexibility over the product’s weight and longevity so that you have no complaints.
Most of the milk frothers listed above have temperature sensors and therefore saves the milk from burning. Moreover, with automated features, they make your time within the kitchen a lot easier. You can worry about free coffee time anytime you want. Furthermore, you can get that sufficient coffee experience within a matter of minutes! Therefore hurry up and buy your frother for 2021!
Before buying the frother and investing your hard-earned money into it, we advise you to go through the buyer’s guide and faqsection thoroughly. This will help you in two ways. First of all, it will give you an idea of your actual needs and how to satisfy them.
Secondly, it will save you a lot of time as you won’t have to search the internet for questions that might arise in your mind. Most of the commonly asked questions have been thoroughly addressed in the FAQ section for your convenience.
Therefore, stop hesitating and quickly choose your preferred milk frother from the bunch. Whether you’re in a hurry in the morning or relaxing in the evening, you get a nice creamy layer of foam each time.
Not only foam, but your frother can get you a nice cup of hot milk or hot chocolate as well! Therefore, go and get yourself a milk frother as soon as possible!