Sufficient airflow is important for an air conditioner system’s efficiency and functioning regardless of it being a component of the HVAC system or independent. Air conditioning filters are an absolute must as they help clean and purify the house’s air movement. Also, it helps in preventing HVAC system contamination. So, the need for the best AC filters for airflow is necessary to correct equipment damage and unbalanced air.
The whole interior of an office or house depends on proper functioning equipment and ductwork for the temperature to stay consistent. If you don’t take care of it, you are opening doors for chunks of bills. The bills will be on the excessive amount of electricity consumption or equipment/wiring damages. Plus, filters with a restrictive flow of air or the dirty ones contribute to high utility bills every month.
Table of Contents
- Buyer’s Guide – What to look for when buying AC filters for airflow
- List Of The Best AC Filters For Airflow
- Summing It Up!
- Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the majority of lasting time for these packs? And can we exceed the usage period?
- Could you give me a little more insight into the MERV rating system?
- How often do I have to change the filter?
- Will the filters help me warm up the house?
- What is a HEPA filter?
- Related posts:
Buyer’s Guide – What to look for when buying AC filters for airflow
Before discussing the best AC filters for airflow, you need to pay attention to some key factors. These factors should help determine the best pick for you, and they include:
- Fiberglass Filters consist of the common kind under the HVAC units. This model requires constant replacement, but they are disposable and affordable. There is the usage of fine fiberglass strands to craft this filter. They are spun together for producing a fabric-type of appearance. There is easy airflow through its microscopic pores. Also, its spun mesh tends to capture both lint and dust for preventing particles from going into the unit or throwing into the room air.
- Pleated Filters consist of a material that is woven together tightly compared to fiberglass. Its finishing weave goes on to be pleated for increasing the overall area of the surface. The bigger surface area offers enhanced airflow and improved air cleaning. This filter possesses the feature to capture dust, pet dander, dust mite, lint, and debris based on its rating. Multiple brands offer pleated filters as washable or disposable products. Plus, the filters are available in a large range of different sizes for accommodating multiple HVAC units.
- Electrostatic filters are the top-performing ones in the market. Their manufacturing materials consist of paper and cotton fibers that generate a static charge while under usage. Its slight charge is quite similar to that of a magnet for attracting and trapping contaminants. These filters are available in both washable and disposable varieties in multiple different sizes. Homeowners that are prone to allergies usually use these electrostatic filters.
Filter Size – The filter’s size should fit adequately inside the receptacle of the filter. The majority of the residential filters come with a thickness of 1-Inch. They vary in their width and length from 8-inches up to 48 Inches, plus all the numbers present in between. You will have to refer to the HVAC’s manual for securing the right size. Why? Because there is no One-Size-Fits-All model for you; however, there are exceptions for personalized filter frames.
Filter Rating – A Filter rating refers to the system that displays the numerical value. It is based on how many particles the filter can capture and how long it will last. The filter rating system consists of three different types, i.e., FPR, MERV, and MPR. Home Depot developed the FPR system and is only available for purchase on filters that they sell at the store.
The 3M developed the MPR (Micro-Particle Performance Rating) to enhance the MERV scale and rates HEPA’s quality filters that claim to catch In-home allergens and irritants down to size 1 Micron. The MERV or Minimum Efficiency Rating Value consists of the original rating system. It rates a filter’s feature to catch particles. In all 3-Rating systems, the soaring the number, the greater will be the filter’s material.
Filter Properties – The properties of filtration are going to be something that needs prioritization. You would want your filter to be good in collecting mold, pet dander, odors, mildew spores, and smoke. Make sure to adjust your purchasing options as you decide what particles need filtration. For example, if no one in your family smokes, then there isn’t a requirement to pay for a filter, which filters out smoke from cigarettes.
Filtration Needs – You need to be sure of what you are trying to filter out of your house. The effectiveness of your filter is going to depend on how high your MERV rating is. Plus, the restrictiveness of the airflow will also depend on it. Here are the MERV ratings for the substances that you want to get rid of:
- Dust – 1-4 MERV Rating
- Pollen & Dust Mites – 5-8 MERV Rating
- VOCs – 8-16 MERV Rating
- Bacteria – 13-17 MERV Rating
- Viruses – 15-20 Rating
Packs – Another aspect regarding the AC filter guide would be to look for the number of packs that come with the product. Different brands with varying models offer multiple packs of the filter. The more you get, the better of a deal it is. But some models may offer a little less, but that doesn’t undermine its performance and quality. Four to Six-packs is a really good deal, so make sure to eye out for those deals.
Price – The air conditioner’s filter is going to depend on your budget too. There are chances of you getting a top-performing filter by spending more. The higher-rated ones tend to cost more than the thin paper filter ones. But not all top-notch filters are expensive, but you have to be ready to spend a little more to secure the ultimate AC filter for your home.
List Of The Best AC Filters For Airflow
1. FilterBuy Silver MERV 8 Pleated AC Filters for Airflow
The FilterBuy Silver MERV 8 Pleated Filter spans 20 x 24 x 1 and comes with a pack of six filters. It does a great job of cleaning pollen, dust, and is all about clean living. This filter helps trap over 90% of the airborne particles such as dust, lint, pet dander, debris, and pollen. You will enjoy major improvements in indoor air quality.
This filter is long-lasting and goes up to a lifespan of three months. It is perfectly fitting for commercial and residential usages. The filter frame material consists of a beverage board and can withstand temperature and humidity over 200⁰F. Its synthetic media offers an increased particulate efficiency compared to cotton media.
- You receive adequate filters.
- It can trap almost all the particles.
- This AC filter is super durable.
- It can withstand high temperatures + humidity.
- Increased particulate efficiency.
2. Filtrete MPR 1000 AC Air Flow Filters
The Filtrete MPR 1000 Filter comes in the size measurement of 10 x 20 x 1. It comes with four filter packs for you, but you can also opt for the six-pack one. This pleated 1-Inch air filter easily outperforms the non-electrostatic, fiberglass, and washable one. It is compatible with your HVAC, air conditioner, or furnace system. This filter features a 3-In-1 technology of Filtrete from 3M and helps trap air particles while allowing the cleaner air to flow easily.
It will attract and capture particles such as pet dander, lint, smog, pollen, smoke, and dust. This 1000 MPR possesses a MERV rating of 11, making it possible to capture almost every microparticle. You will be able to use it for three months without any problem. And for the other sizes, you will have a longer duration for replacements.
- It stands out in performance amongst its peers.
- You will be able to trap even the tiniest microparticles.
- For placing the filter, there is an arrow for indication.
- It can collect hairs of multiple pets with ease.
- Neat with balanced airflow.
3. Filters Fast MERV 13 Pleated Filter – AC Furnace Air Filters
The Filters Fast MERV 13 Pleated Filter measures up to 14 x 30 x 1 and has about three months. This hypoallergenic air filter can replace a ton of allergen brands such as Dupont silver, Dupont bronze, Dupont allergen air filter, Dupont silver extra, Dupont contractor, Filtrete micro allergen filter, etc. For people that take their health seriously, this premium MERV 13 rating is suitable. Its filters enhance the overall quality of air in the house and also eradicate airborne allergens.
Plus, you will also notice improvements in the lifespan of the cooling and heating systems. This filter is also resistant to moisture, all thanks to its spun micro-fibers. Also, its 15 pleats on every linear foot in the filter do a great job decreasing pollen, pet dander, dust, etc. inside the house. You will receive over six durable purifying packs.
- Long-lasting AC filters.
- It does a better job than most allergen brands.
- This filter has a powerful and effective 13 MERV rating.
- Major reduction in airborne allergens.
- Improved heating + cooling feature.
4. FilterBuy MERV 8 Pleated Allergen Pleated AC Furnace Air Filter
The FilterBuy MERV 8 Pleated Allergen + Odor Eliminator comes with a pack of six and measures about 14 x 14 x 1. Just as the name says, this filter does a great job of eradicating bad odor and allergens. It also comes with activated carbon for the furnace and AC HVAC. There won’t be any room for odor from your pets, cooking, smoke, etc.
Both homeowners and business owners can make use of this product to better the atmosphere. It can filter even the tiniest particles like one micron, smoke, auto-emissions, pet dander, dust mites, lint, debris, mold spores, and pollen. Plus, this filter also works three times longer than the average filter of fiberglass.
- Excellent odor removal at all times.
- The six-pack offers a longer runtime.
- Quick shipment + delivery and responsive servicing.
- Easy to use.
- An arrow sign indication would be nice for installing the AC.
5. MERV 13 Pleated Filter
The Filters Fast MERV 13 Pleated Filter measures 22 x 24 x 1 and has over six filter packs. The manufacturing of this filter takes place in the US, with 100% American material. It can operate for 90 days or even more before its replacement. What’s more, its hypoallergenic nature helps capture a ton of air irritants and particulates present in the air. People with health problems can use this filter as its power 13 MERV rating makes the environment breathable.
It helps reduce the overall air quality and also eradicates airborne allergens. Also, your heating and cooling system will start to notice an expansion in its lifespan. Plus, its spun micro-fibers help in making the filter resistant to moisture. The 15 pleats on every linear footing on the AC filter help combat the increase of pollen, pet dander, allergens, dust, etc. You can expect them to arrive in mint condition.
- It is highly efficient.
- The filter is cost-effective.
- Health friendly at all times.
- Extended duration of use.
- Its high MERV rating delivers high performance.
6. FilterBuy Platinum MERV 13 Pleated Filter
The FilterBuy Platinum MERV 13 Pleated Filter possesses 20 x 25 x 1 and contains four filter packs. This item will boost the HVAC system performance by filtering out all the harmful particulates present inside the house. It also reduces the back pressure of the system and maintains the proper flow of air at all times. This filter is comparable to the MPR 1500-1900 and is fitting for both commercial and residential usage.
With its frame material of beverage board and 12 pleats on every foot, this filter possesses a larger surface area for trapping more air particles. Plus, it is also able to withstand moisture and dampness exposure. You will be able to use these filters for three months at maximum, and after that, you will need to replace it. The frame can withstand about 200⁰F of temperature and humidity at all times.
- Super effective in generating airborne particles.
- Its frame can withstand super high temperatures.
- There is a boost in the particulate efficiency.
- Lower energy costs.
- It does a great job of getting rid of the smoke.
- This product isn’t the most durable.
7. Filtrete MPR 300 BD03-6PK-1E AC Air Filters
The Filtrete MPR 300 BD03-6PK-1E comes equipped with six-packs and spans over 20 x 25 x 1. This filter can easily outperform non-electrostatic, fiberglass, and washable models. You can expect this filter to attract many particles and substances from your air via your cooling and heating system. This device can capture a lot of household dust and is perfectly fitting for the equipment of high-velocity.
Its technology of 3-In-1 from 3M helps capture all the airborne particles effectively while the clean air is flowing through. Capturing large particles such as household dust, lint, debris, mold spores, and dust mites is also easy. Its 300 MPR of filtrate is equivalent to the MERV 5 Rating. Make sure to replace it after every 90 days for optimal performance.
- It captures both small and large particles with ease.
- This item is Cost-effective.
- Easy to install and maintain.
- Continuous airflow without issues.
- There is a quieter operation compared to other models.
- It is only for residential usage.
8. FilterBuy Gold MERV 11 Pleated Filter
The FilterBuy Gold MERV 11 Pleated Filter has a 14 x 18 x 1 and has a pack of four filters. This filter is comparable to the Micro-Particle MPR800 or even the MPR 1200 Allergen. Its synthetic media offers top-notch allergen protection, and the customer’s house will be 95% devoid of pet dander, pollen, lint, debris, dust, mold spores, dust mites, smog, and smoke. The 12 pleats per foot and its frame material of the beverage board give this filter enough surface area for trapping particles.
The product runs three months and is usable for both residential and commercial, or business reasons. All of its parts are 100% American made and can stand the test of time without breakage. Its synthetic media offers an increased particulate efficiency significantly compared to the standard cotton media.
- It can even go beyond three months.
- You can own multiple cats and fret not about pet dander.
- An affordable price tag.
- They are lightweight and effective.
- Durable material.
Summing It Up!
A great way to save money on sky-rocketing utility bills would be by prolonging the lifespan of your AC. Having a clean and flowy filter will lower energy costs and a clean, healthy indoor environment. You and your family, including the pets, won’t be prone to any allergies and diseases at all. Also, your AC will be able to run smoothly without any heating and cooling issues. This list of the best AC filters for airflow will give you a deeper insight into the ideal filter. Plus, always remember to replace the filters after their duration period. It will help your AC give an optimal performance at all times.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the majority of lasting time for these packs? And can we exceed the usage period?
The duration of these packs is mostly up to three months. But other packs go beyond the 3-Month limit depending on the model and brand. And to answer your second question, yes, you can go beyond the given period. But it isn’t going to go on and on because it will wear out over time with use. It is always best to replace them after the 90-day mark for an optimal AC condition.
Could you give me a little more insight into the MERV rating system?
It is important to balance the efficiency versus your filter wants. The higher the rating of MERV, the more will be the filtration of the smallest particles. You will be able to filter pollen, dust, dust mites, pet dander, bacteria, viruses, smoke, smog, and other allergens easily. Customers should always look at the MERV rating and decide if they want a filter with such options. Here is a breakdown of the MERV Rating for you.
- MERV 6 – 300 MPR
- MERV 8 – 600 MPR
- MERV 11 – 1000 Till 1200 MPR
- MERV 13 – 1500-1900 MPR
How often do I have to change the filter?
For the most part, these filters come with a 90-day usage tag, which is equivalent to three months. But you should change your filter once you start to hear the air make a whistling noise by the filter. Sometimes your filter might make this noise before the expiration date, which calls for a replacement. Plus, there might be a change in the interval of your air heating system, so make sure to pay attention to that. However, sometimes you can even replace it after 90 days too.
Will the filters help me warm up the house?
No, unfortunately, the filters aren’t going to help you in warming up your house. Their entire purpose is to trap all the unwanted air particles inside your home. It protects the inner system of your AC unit from all the debris and dirt all the time. An air filter is going to make the air inside your house healthier for breathing. You need to refer to the instruction manual that comes with the product for better assistance.
What is a HEPA filter?
HEPA stands for High-Efficiency Particulate Arrestance. People suffering from allergens need to purchase HEPA filters to combat the issue. These filters tend to pull a huge amount of particulate present from the air stream. Filters that meet the standards of HEPA should satisfy certain efficiency levels. It lessens the number of allergens and promotes a healthy breathable environment.