Modern automobiles are wired extensively and controlled by microprocessors. The electrical system has seen a spike in the history of automobile design. For the motor to work smoothly, all its wiring needs to work correctly. Thus, there is a demand for the best automotive wire connectors.
Table of Contents
- What are Automotive Wire Connectors?
- Automotive Wire Connectors Buying Guide
- List of The Best Automotive Heat Shrink Wire Connectors
- Best Heat Shrink Butt Automotive Connectors Terminals
- Top Automotive Solder Seal Wire Connectors
- Best Automotive Pin Wire Connectors
- Frequently Asked Questions Section
- Is Polyolefin Tubes a better choice than other products in the market?
- Is crimping needed to use a solder seal connector?
- What standards to check while choosing automotive wire connectors?
- What difference does the heat shrink ratio make? Can I use any heat shrink tube without considering the shrink ratio?
- Are the automotive wire connectors waterproof?
- Related posts:
What are Automotive Wire Connectors?
An automotive wire connector is a device specifically designed for automobiles. It connects various systems, circuits, and applications. Not only can it join two or multiple wires together, but seal wires safely.
It enables the smooth working of automobiles. It takes on a dual role of connecting as well as protecting the wires.
Automotive Wire Connectors Buying Guide
The market has thousands of automotive wire connectors to offer. Plus, with advanced marketing techniques, everything looks the best. These aspects alone make deciding on which one to buy harder.
There are a lot of features to keep in mind while buying. However, here are some basic features to look out for. These simple steps will guarantee the best automotive wire connectors.
The buyer’s guide will be of great help, especially for beginners.
- It should be resistant to water:
The correct automotive wire connectors will always be waterproof. Now, this might seem simple, but not all products offer this feature. A waterproof wire will not only last longer, but it will protect the cables.
Generally, it should protect the wire from any damaging environmental aspects.
- It should be easy to use:
Generally, using wire connectors is a simple process. Even beginners can use it after reading the manual.
It will require a wire, a connector, a crimper, and a heat gun. It does not require any other complicated steps.
Thus, always go for automotive wire connectors that are easy to use. Why choose sophisticated over easy?
- It should be copper plated:
Copper is the best conductor of electricity. Thus, look for wire connectors that use copper.
It not only protects from short circuits but ensures that the crimp is tight around the wires. Plus, it is resistant to corrosion.
- It should have wire gauge imprints:
Automotive wire connectors consist of an assortment of various sizes. It makes identifying a specific size difficult.
Thus, always buy wire connectors that have gauge imprints on it. The print mentions the size of the connector, which makes it easy for users to differentiate. Plus, it is also available in various colors. It makes it easy to separate and distinguish the different types.
- Always compare the price of products:
Many have the concept that the most expensive is the best. However, a costly automotive wire connector does not mean that it is the best. Many fair priced wire connectors give the same or even better result than expensive ones.
Thus, always compare the price of products before buying. Do not always settle for the expensive one.
With the basics of what an automotive wire connector is and how to buy one covered. Below are some of the best automotive wire connectors.
List of The Best Automotive Heat Shrink Wire Connectors
Heat shrink wire connectors are connectors that shrink when the heat is applied. What it does is create tight insulation around the wire.
1. TICONN Heat Shrink Automotive Wire Connectors
It is an all-in-one heat shrink wire connector set. The set comes with eight types of wire connectors.
Plus, it caters to all capacity with its three sets. It comes in sets of 120 pieces, 250 pieces, and 500 pieces. The collection is an excellent deal for the price range of $13 to $40.
- A fantastic feature is its thick copper connector barrel. What it does is ensure a tight crimp around the wire every time. It ensures that the connector will not slip off. Besides, it prevents any problematic wiring and short circuits.
- The insulation tube has a dual-walled design. These include a Polyolefin tube on the outside. While the heat-activated adhesive lining forms the inside.
- The product comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, if not up to standard. Plus, it also comes with a 12-month warranty. TICONN provides a risk-free shopping experience.
2. Sopoby Automotive Heat Shrink Wire Connectors
For a $20-$25 investment, this 250 piece set is a great buy. The package includes:
- Four types of heart shrink rings.
- Female and Male Quick Disconnects.
- Fork terminals.
- Butt Connectors.
- Each connector comes with a wire gauge imprint. What it does is ensure quick identification of the right connector to use. It prevents any chance of using the wrong connector.
- To make it more convenient, it comes in three colors: pink, yellow and blue. Thus, it makes marking different wire lines easier. For example, brake wires can be yellow while the horn wires can be blue.
- The connector is resistant to steam, water, and other contaminants.
3. Glarks Heat Shrink Wire Connectors for Automotive Industry
On a search for a set that will last a long time? Glarks offer just that. The package comes with 540 pieces of 12 different connector types.
It is the perfect set for anybody carrying out electrical works daily. There will be no situation of running out of spares. Not only is it easy to use but reasonably priced too.
- it contains PVC materials and quality copper.
- This connector complies with ROHS and UL standards.
- It comes with a storage box with large compartments.
- It offers a wide selection of connector types.
Best Heat Shrink Butt Automotive Connectors Terminals
A Heat Shrink Butt connector is a type of crimp connector. It can connect one wire to two different wires. Or simply connect two wires.
1. TICONN 200 piece Automotive Heat Shrink Butt Connectors
It is the simple butt connector to use that’s available in the market. The whole process includes only four simple steps.
The connectors come in three sizes. There’s no need to worry about versatility. Also, each package comes with three colors- blue, pink, and yellow.
- It shrinks evenly when the heat is applied. Plus, the two ends get completed sealed through this process. What it does is make the connector completely waterproof.
- There is no wire damage while heating. It is because it has a lower shrinking temperature. It is operational in temperatures ranging from 65°F to 225°F.
- It comes with a one year warranty. Also, 45-day money-back guarantees if the product doesn’t perform.
2. Onite 210 piece Heat Shrink Butt Connectors
Costing under just under $20, Onite’s is a great buy. The heat shrink butt connector is known for its high conductivity. The reason behind this is because it uses red copper.
The material used ensures less voltage drop and increased current flow. Not only does it improve, but it also protects from wire failures.
- Its tin plating protects from any kind of corrosion.
- It comes in three sizes.
- It also comes in three colors. The colors make differentiating the different sizes more manageable.
- The connectors’ operational temperature is 55°C to 125°C.
- It has certifications from ROHS and CSA. It also complies with both UL and CE standards.
Top Automotive Solder Seal Wire Connectors
The process of soldering involves melting metal to join two or more items. The metal used is usually referred to as soldering iron. However, seal wire connectors solders without any soldering iron.
More solder seal wire connectors can be found at https://www.bestof.info/best-solder-seal-wire-connectors/
1. Kuject Automotive 120 piece Solder Seal Wire Connectors
It is a quick and convenient alternative for busy folks. The package comes in a neatly organized storage box with compartments.
It comes in four sizes. Plus, each type is color-coded, which avoids any mix-ups.
- The solder seal wire connector does not require soldering iron or the crimper. It is a three steps process. Put the wire inside the connector and twist it and apply heat over it. It is as simple as that.
- The connector tube is transparent, so it makes it easy to see the whole process. The user gets an idea of what is happening.
- It can work in a limited space environment.
2. TICONN 120 piece Solder Seal Wire Connectors
It is a tool appreciated by users all over the world. TICONN is not only reliable but fast. It features an option between a set of 120 pieces and 150 pieces.
- The solder sleeve melts at a low temperature. The minimum temperature requirement is 280°F.
- Some other products require a high temperature, which damages the actual wire.
- It will not only connect wires in seconds but also waterproof it. The even shrinking of the seal makes this possible. It seals on both ends and not only one.
- It comes with a 12-month warranty and 30-day money-back guarantee.
Best Automotive Pin Wire Connectors
Pin wire connectors join electrical circuits together. Most connectors consist of two main parts – plug and terminal pins.
The pins provide electrical conduction and are generally of two types- female and male.
1. LanHong 2 Way Automotive Pin Electrical Connector Plug With Wire
For just under $12, LanHong is a perfect purchase, especially for beginners. The pack of 10 is the best alternative for starters because of its simplicity.
All the plugs are of the same size and have a wide application. It is fit for all kinds of bikes, boats, and cars. Each plug comes with two wires of 7 cm, which is the male and female pin.
- It is waterproof.
- The size of the wire is 2.60 mm in diameter.
- The plug protects the terminal pins and stabilizes the connection.
- The design is simple and easy to use.
2. Glarks Electrical wire Connector Plug
Glarks is the best investment for those looking for a more advanced set. The set comes with six sizes of male and female plugs. Plus, 35 pieces of both male and female terminal pins.
- The connector plug contains environment-friendly material. It uses high-quality nylon that lasts longer. The plug is thus resistant to both wear and corrosion.
- The terminal pins use the precision of the phos-copper plating process. It results in high conductivity.
- It is a greener option in comparison to other products.
Automated T-Tap Wire Connectors
T-Tap Connector is a conventional method of insulating wires without stripping or cutting the wires. Plus, it removes any wire connections without having to insulate or peel and cut again.
1. Salipt T-Tap Electrical Connectors
Salipt has quality PE exteriors that hold back heat, making it safe to touch. The interior consists of tin-plated brass that conducts electricity.
Its durability is an impressive feature. It does not even require changing once applied. Thus, it is an excellent value for money. The 120 piece package comes in three colors.
- It is resistant from corrosion as the male spade connector is tin-plated. At the same time, the brass present improves conductivity.
- Plus, it removes existing wire connections without any fuss. It does not require replacing the insulation or stripping.
- It prevents the wire from falling short.
2. Shealth 120 piece T-Tap Wire Connectors
Shealth caters to the need for the latest wire connectors in the market.
The 120 piece pack comes with male Spade and T-Tap connectors. It’s a convenient option for starters.
There are two advantages to using it:
- It saves a large portion of the wire from being cut.
- It needs no extra insulation tape.
- It drives away any worries over a stable and secure connection. It has a double protection feature. While the T-Tap connector securely locks the wire. The male Quick Disconnects made of nylon locks tightly on the t-tap connectors.
- The core serves a multipurpose role. The copper conducts electricity better.
The interior has thick tinned copper, which does not bend. Thus, it can cater to thick wires. Also, it has high heat resistance up to 221°F.
- It is an approved connector by ROHS and CE certification.
Frequently Asked Questions Section
Is Polyolefin Tubes a better choice than other products in the market?
Heat shrink tubings are tubes that shrink when heated. It needs to be heated because the heat activates the adhesive material inside the tube. What it does is the adhesive material secures the cable. Thus, the heat shrink tube and wire become joins to become one.
Polyolefin is a flame retardant material. It is known for its electrical and physical properties.
The Polyolefin tube is also UL recognized.
Sometimes, it is known as Automotive Heat Shrink Tubing for its extensive use in automotive applications. Please, note that heat shrink tubes are available in different styles.
Thus, Polyolefin shrink tubes are a popular choice in comparison to other products.
Is crimping needed to use a solder seal connector?
Solder seal connectors are a different type of connector. It does not need crimping, unlike most heat shrink connectors.
The process requires the user to slide the wire into the connector. Then, join the wires by twisting it. A unique feature of a solder seal is the tube is entirely transparent. Thus, it allows the user to position the cable right in the middle of the solder ring.
Then by using a heat gun, heat the tube. What this does is melt the solder ring and join the wires. Plus, activate the adhesive that will slowly shrink, making the seal waterproof and dustproof.
Those are the only steps required for a solder seal connector.
What standards to check while choosing automotive wire connectors?
There are a lot of standards to check while deciding for a product. These standards are essential because it ensures that every automotive wire is of high quality and safety. Some of the standards and certifications to look out for include:
- Underwriters Laboratories (UL)
- The CE mark.
- The Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive (RoHS) Certification.
- The CSA registered mark.
Thus, checking these standards and certifications act as a precautionary measure. It ensures that every product the user buys is of the highest quality.
What difference does the heat shrink ratio make? Can I use any heat shrink tube without considering the shrink ratio?
Most manufacturers mention the heat shrink ratio in the description. The ratio states the size of the heat shrink tube before and after it is shrunk.
Some of the most common heat shrink ratios consist of:
- 4:1 – The heat shrink connector will be four times the size of its shrunken form.
- 3:1- The heat shrink tube will reduce to one-third of the original size once heated.
- 2:1- The original size will be twice as large as its shrunken form.
For instance, imagine trying to put a thick wire into a 2:1 shrink ratio heat tube. The cable will not fit inside the connector.
Are the automotive wire connectors waterproof?
Yes, the wire connectors are waterproof. It is so because of automobiles’ exposure to liquids; thus, the wire connectors have to be waterproof.