If there is a garment that redefines second skin, it is the leggings. Granted, it is a controversial item that has divided the fashion gurus. Some folks cannot stop singing its praises. On the other hand, others loathe its very existence. To workout properly while wearing leggings, you will need a pair of one of the best high waisted workout leggings
Irrespective of our personal opinions, we can all agree that it offers unparalleled flexibility. It is the ideal bottom wear for any type of workout. Whether you love to go hardcore weight training or prefer the gentler moves of yoga, leggings will not prevent you from executing the moves. They are comfortable and flexible.
Aside from is flexibility, and dare we say versatility, leggings have enjoyed more time in the spotlight, thanks to the athleisure craze. And if the current trends are any indication, the art of combining athletic wear and comfort is here to stay.
The best high waisted workout leggings have an excellent blend of different features. These include:
- Wicking moisture
- Not sliding during the workout
- Relatively affordable
- Good design
But finding the best leggings for workout sessions is not easy. The reasons can be anything from numerous choices on the market and personal preferences. To help you find the right leggings to facilitate your workouts, we have reviewed ten leggings in this post.
A side note for everyone who works out, to stay hydrated during a workout, and after use might want to consider using a water bottle with time markings. And if you want to make your workout more pleasant, you can try a pair of wireless earbuds, and listen to your favorite music or book during the workout.
Table of Contents:
- Best High Waisted Workout Leggings
- Are leggings good for workout?
- What is the difference between tights and leggings?
- Are leggings bad for circulation?
- What kind of shoes to wear with leggings?
- Will leggings go out of style?
- Is it acceptable to wear leggings as pants?
- Final thoughts.
- Best Overall -> Lululemon Align Pant 7/8 Yoga Pants
- Best Price -> STRONG by Zumba High Waisted Compression High Waisted Workout Leggings
- Best leggings for running -> Leonisa ActiveLife Power Lift High-Waisted Leggings
- Best leggings for stretching -> 90 Degree By Reflex High Waist Leggings
- Best for Yoga -> Activefit Silver Stars Black Leggings
We have considered factors including material, comfortability, and price. We are confident that you will find the perfect high waisted workout leggings. Make sure to check out the FAQ section we have included towards the end.
- Lululemon High Waisted Yoga Pants
- Activefit Silver Stars Black Leggings
- Alo Yoga Airbrush Legging
- STRONG by Zumba High Waisted Leggings
- ALIGNMED Mid-Calf Capri Pants
- Reflex High Waist Leggings
- Leonisa ActiveLife Power Lift High-Waisted Leggings
- Farmacell Bodyshaper 609B – Firm Control Shaping Leggings
- 90 Degree By Reflex High Waist Fleece Lined Leggings
- STRONG by Zumba High Waisted Compression Workout Leggings
Top 10 Best Workout Leggings Reviewed
1. Lululemon Align Pant 7/8 Yoga Pants.
This pair of leggings from Lululemon is a great piece. You will love the naked sensation with which it was designed.
- It is made with a combination of lycra spandex and proprietary nulu fabric. This engineered fabric lends a skin-like feel when you wear it.
- The leggings are exceptionally soft and comfortable on the skin.
- It is also lightweight, so you get the second-skin feel.
- A high rise waistband secures the leggings during movements. It also prevents the fabric from digging into the skin.
- The fit of the leggings is tight without being constrictive. It provides a slight compression. You get a full range of mobility with this one.
- The waistband has a hidden pocket. You can store something like your gym pass in the pocket.
- The length of the leggings is calf-length. You can comfortably ride a bike without any problem.
- It comes in two colors – black and midnight navy.
- Different sizes ranging from 2 to 12.
- Very soft and lightweight
- Does not slide while in motion
- Fits perfectly
- Retains its shape after washing
- Chances of getting counterfeit product are high
- A bit pricey
2. Activefit Silver Stars Black Leggings.
This legging is for those who like designs on their black outfits. It has several silver stars on the body that makes it fun without looking childish.
- It is made of polyester and spandex in 86:14 ratio. The leggings are very stretchy and flexible.
- It features a four-way stretch as well as moisture-wicking technology. This is a fantastic feature that keeps you dry during heavy exertion.
- The leggings have a high waistband that is also wide. This makes it excellent even for postpartum women and those on the curvier side.
- The overall fit is excellent. It offers a slimming effect as it effectively holds you in.
- Star pattern on the leggings makes it suitable for use outside the gym.
- It comes in three colors – purple, black and blue.
- Variable sizes from extra small to large.
- A wide and high waistband
- Moisture-wicking property
- Fun design and colors
- Very affordable
- Sizing is a bit small.
3. Alo Yoga Women’s Airbrush Leggings.
These leggings are a fantastic combination of aesthetic excellence and quality. The numerous designs will satiate even the fanciest taste.
- These Alo yoga leggings are made from 81% polyester and 19% spandex. It is soft and comfortable to wear.
- It features an airbrush fit which makes the seams flat and locked into place. This makes the leggings very durable and excellent in quality. It also prevents chafing of the skin.
- The waistband is not only wide. It is high-rise as well.
- It also features a concealed pocket in the waistband.
- It comes in a wide range of colors and designs. You will find the perfect color and prints.
- These leggings also have the most accommodating sizing options, which is impressive.
- Fitting is true to size
- Excellent range of colors
- Very well made
- The waistband is not very high, so it may not work for taller people
4. STRONG by Zumba High Waisted Leggings.
These leggings are a great choice for those who engage in high-intensity workouts. It is also a great option for running or any activity that involves a lot of movement, such as burpees.
- It is made of 87% nylon and 13% spandex. It is stretchy and very comfortable. The materials also add excellent durability to it.
- The innovative Z Dri Tech absorbs moisture efficiently. Say goodbye to sweat during workouts.
- These have a great fit, and the overall lockdown is fantastic. Your tummy and butt are sufficiently supported.
- A wide waistband adds to the overall comfort. The leggings are squat proof.
- A small key pocket lies on the side of the leggings.
- The leggings come in a multitude of colors and designs
- Extra-wide and high waistband
- Stays put during workouts
- Various sizes available
- Absorbs sweat
- Very affordable
- The material feels quite thin
5. ALIGNMED Mid-Calf Capri Yoga Pants.
This one is a midi length leggings. It has moisture-wicking properties which are excellent for workout sessions.
- Made from 85% polyester and 15% spandex, these leggings are stretchy and comfortable. It is also very soft and smooth on the skin.
- The waistband on this one is a mid-rise. It also comes with diamond gusset and flatlock seams. These features prevent chaffing on the skin.
- The power mesh panels have moisture-wicking properties for added comfort.
- It has an internal technology that stimulates the hamstrings and the glutes.
- A concealed pocket on the leggings adds to the convenience. It can hold your keys and a lip balm.
- The AlignMed yoga pants come in several colors.
- You can use the leggings for other activities as well. The mid-calf length is bicycle-friendly.
- Very soft and comfortable
- Wicks moisture
- Very well made
- Comes in different colors
- The waistband is not very high
- Does not support hips as advertised
6. 90 Degree By Reflex High Waist Leggings.
You will love the colors as well as the quality of these leggings. It has an excellent fit and holds in your tummy with ease. It also comes at an unbeatable price.
- It is made from a combination of spandex and nylon. It renders the leggings soft and lightweight as well.
- The waistband is high-rise and wide. It holds in your belly very effortlessly. It also does not slide or bunch during movements.
- A hidden pocket is present in the waistband for holding a hair tie or a key.
- The fit of these leggings is outstanding. The four-way stretch feature makes it move with your body. It is also squat-proof. No more pulling and adjusting the leggings after every move.
- It also wicks moisture from the body. You don’t have to suffer from sweating during your gym sessions.
- The material is not flimsy, which is great. It is also one of the few leggings that are machine washable.
- It comes in many colors.
- Lightweight and comfortable
- An excellent high-rise waistband
- Great fit
- Wicks moisture
- Machine washable
- 30 days money-back guarantee
- Quality is not consistent
7. Leonisa ActiveLife Power Lift High-Waisted Leggings.
These exceptionally high-waisted leggings also have compression properties. You will love its moisture-wicking feature as well. It also comes with inner shorts which is unique to this pair.
- These leggings are made from 80% polyamide and 20% elastane. It is very soft and flexible.
- Inner shorts are made of Powerslim. It provides medium compression. The dual design also provides support to the butt and the tummy.
- It features flat seams that do not dig into the skin. It also prevents skin chaffing.
- The waistband is a high-rise. However, if you a long torso, it may not fit as a high-rise.
- It also has moisture-wicking abilities. It makes it suitable for high-intensity workouts, including burpees and running.
- The fabric is breathable and also dries fast.
- The sizing options are very accommodating – small to extra large.
- Wicks moisture
- Holds and shapes the bottom
- Can also be worn as a first layer
- Fits true to size
- A bit tricky to adjust the lining
- Only available in black
8. Farmacell Bodyshaper 609B – Firm Control Shaping Leggings.
Although this pair of leggings is advertised as a body-shaper, it has some features which make it a great choice for workouts. Let’s check them out.
- The material composition of these leggings is 75% polyamide and 25% elastane. It is flexible and moves like a second skin.
- It also features a proprietary NILIT breeze fabric and hygienic insert. These make the leggings extremely breathable and lightweight.
- This is also one of the very leggings that are seamless on the sides. Wear on its own or underneath jeans and trousers.
- The fit is as expected and advertised. It provides mild lift to the butt and the tummy.
- It does not slide around while wearing it. You will not have to deal with pulling up or adjusting your leggings no matter how you exercise.
- High-rise waist makes it a good choice for curvy and postpartum women.
- Excellent quality and construction
- Lightweight and breathable
- Fits true to size
- Hygienic insert
- The fabric is quite flimsy
9. 90 Degree By Reflex High Waist Fleece Lined Leggings.
These leggings are a great choice for those cold months. The fleece lining is perfect for working out at the gym in winter. It is also the ideal workout gear for running as well.
- It is made from 90% polyester and 10% spandex. It has a pull on closure. It is soft and flexible and offers full mobility.
- The lining is a fleece. It is not bulky by any measure, just enough to keep you warm and comfortable.
- It has interlocked stitching and gusset crotch. This prevents chafing and allows full range of motion.
- The waistband is one of the best. It is five inches in width, which perfectly holds you in.
- The leggings have a slight compression, so you maintain a streamlined silhouette.
- It comes with pockets on the sides. The pockets are of considerable size which can hold your phone and other small trinkets.
- You can choose a design with or without pockets.
- It is available in a wide range of color options and sizes.
- Exceptional waistband
- Fleece lining
- Large pocket
- Holds and firms the butt and belly
- 30 days refund guarantee
- It is not very stretchy
- Does not have a moisture-wicking feature
10. STRONG by Zumba High Waisted Compression High Waisted Workout Leggings.
This is another great product from Strong by Zumba. It is high-waisted and also offers compression. It is a great choice for those who have problems with their feet.
- This pair is made of 87% nylon and 13% spandex. It is soft, comfortable and stretchy. You will have no problem with full-range mobility.
- Similar to other leggings from the brand, it also has Z Dri Tech. It is a feature that wicks moisture.
- The fit of these leggings is great. It gently contours to your body and supports the body.
- It also offers gentle compression to the legs. You will enjoy working out to your heart’s content while wearing these leggings.
- The waistband is a high-rise. It flattens the tummy very well. It also does not slip or bunch during movements.
- The flat-lock seaming of the leggings prevents chaffing. You can exercise and dance in this pair without any issues.
- This high waisted compression legging is available in a wide range of colors and sizes.
- Excellent fit and lockdown
- Wicks moisture
- High-rise waistband
- Does not slip during movements
- Very affordable
- Fabric is a bit thin
Frequently Asked Questions about Leggings.
In this section, we answer some of the most frequently asked questions about leggings.
Are leggings good for workout?
A straightforward answer? Yes. Leggings are typically made of stretchy fabrics. This makes it extremely flexible and great for a workout. You will have no problem performing a wide range of motion with one of these on.
Some leggings also feature innovative technology in the construction. It can be anything from proprietary technology or fabric. These make the leggings breathable and lightweight, which makes them perfect for working out.
Another reason why leggings are good for a workout is moisture-wicking property. It is an excellent feature that is indispensable for a physically intensive activity such as exercise. You can work out with a peace of mind that you are not putting your bottom half in a sauna-like situation.
However, not all leggings have moisture-wicking properties. So if you are someone who tends to sweat a lot, keep an eye out for this feature.
What is the difference between tights and leggings?
Tights and leggings share some similarities in function. But they are completely different items of clothing. The differences between tights and leggings include:
- Tights can be of sheer, opaque and fishnet types. On the other hand, leggings are either solid or patterned but never sheer.
- Tights are made of light nylon and other blends. Leggings are thicker and made of spandex and elastane, among others.
- Tights typically cover the whole feet. On the other hand, Leggings do not cover the feet. They are usually ankle length or calf length.
- Tights are worn underneath outer garments. Leggings can be worn on its own. Additionally, it can also be layered underneath pants.
- Tights are usually worn for professional and formal occasions. Leggings are as casual as they come.
- Tights are not suitable for workouts and other physical activities. Leggings, on the other hand, were made for facilitating physical activities.
Are leggings bad for circulation?
It depends. Leggings are made of synthetic fabrics. This makes them a bad candidate for ventilation and circulation of air. The problem can be exacerbated by poor quality leggings, made from cheaply sourced material.
However, if you have good quality leggings, it can be different. Quality leggings typically have lightweight and breathable fabrics in its composition. This allows the lower body to breathe. Leggings that have moisture-wicking abilities also facilitate air circulation.
On the other hand, leggings can promote blood circulation in the legs. It is especially true if the leggings have compression properties. It can also improve lymphatic drainage, which can cause swelling. However, it is important to know that high waisted workout leggings are different from compression leggings.
The best advice we can offer is to buy only good quality leggings. Also, avoid wearing them for hours at a stretch. Irrespective of the fabric, wearing tight fighting clothes for long periods is not ideal for air or blood circulation.
What kind of shoes to wear with leggings?
Leggings are very forgiving and versatile when it comes to shoes. So the type of shoes that you wear with them depends on the activity that you plan to engage in. It also depends on the type and thickness of the leggings in question.
Since we are on the topic of leggings, we shall stick to shoes to wear with workout leggings.
Sneakers provide cushion to the feet. As any respectable trainer will tell you, sneakers prevent injury when you are working out. They are also the standard shoe that complements the high waisted leggings.
- Running errands.
Loafers, slip-on sneakers, uggs and any type of flat footwear. As long as you are comfortable and look decent, it is fine.
- Lounging at home.
If you plan to lounge at home in your high waisted workout leggings, slides or anything comfortable is a good choice.
Will leggings go out of style?
As briefly highlighted above, the athleisure trend is still in full bloom. Therefore it does not seem that leggings will go out of style very soon.
It is because of the following reasons:
- Celebrities are regularly flaunting their toned torso in leggings.
- Brands that primarily dealt with sportswear have combined athletic and casual designs.
- Leggings are very forgiving. Any woman of any size can wear it and feel comfortable.
- They are also very versatile when it comes to styling options.
- Leggings are also very widely available. Of course, there is a huge gap in quality. But you can buy leggings from anywhere.
Is it acceptable to wear leggings as pants?
Leggings are technically pants. They cover the bottom part of the body from the waist to the ankles.
But they are not a substitute for pants. It is because leggings are generally viewed as casual wear. They are also made of stretchy fabric that intimately clings to the body. Although this is done to facilitate the movements while exercising, it is often viewed as indecent by many.
It can be particularly offensive if the leggings are sheer. These types of leggings reveal what the person is wearing underneath. When this happens, it is considered more than a fashion faux pas.
Although leggings are extremely comfortable and forgiving, it is these very reasons that disqualify it as a substitute for pants. So, no. It is not acceptable to wear leggings as pants.
Leggings are fun to wear. They offer comfort and ease without restricting your movements. They also look good on all types of bodies.
However, it is important that you invest in good quality leggings. Any type of workouts requires a lot of movement. You need to be comfortable and execute the movements with ease. Good quality leggings will help you achieve this.
The best high waisted workout leggings have a good fit, do not slide and wicks moisture. We hope you find the perfect fit from our list of the best high waisted workout leggings.
Also, no matter what type of workout you do, try to hydrate yourself as much as possible. A water bottle with time markings can help you with this.