One of the best ways of passing the time during a flight is listening to music. While you may have several reasons for not doing it, but after spending some time on your journey, you would love to have music soothe your ears instead of the flight engine noises or any other noises that might disturb you. However, standard headphones fail to counter this situation, and you will need noise-canceling headphones to acquire peace and catch some sleep. So which are the best noise-canceling headphones for airplanes?
Noise-canceling headphones can make a huge difference and will allow you to enjoy total tranquility. They block out your ears to provide excellent sound output, and many of them come with advanced noise cancellation features. If you are looking for some quality noise-canceling headphones, this article will present some of the best ones. We have reviewed each of the products thoroughly and were satisfied with the results.
We have also included a buyer’s guide to help you decide which one to choose. This guide contains various crucial aspects and factors that you need to consider before making your purchase, which will help you get the perfect noise-canceling headphones for flying.
Table of Contents
- Why do you need noise-canceling headphones for flight?
- Noise-canceling headphones for flying – Buyer’s guide
- List of the best noise-canceling headphones for airplane on the market
- Frequently Asked Questions
- 1. Which is the best noise-canceling headphone for flying?
- 2. Can noise-canceling headphones reduce fatigue while flying?
- 3. Which is the best budget-friendly noise-canceling headphone?
- 4. Do wireless noise-canceling headphones interfere with the plane?
- 5. Can you make a conversation with noise cancellation turned on?
- 6. Which noise-canceling headphone has the best battery life?
- Related posts:
Why do you need noise-canceling headphones for flight?
As we mentioned earlier, noise-canceling headphones perform better than standard headphones; they offer a seamless experience while traveling. They sound better and cover your ears to keep you away from the background noises. Noise-canceling headphones use a specialized set of sensors and microphones that prevent outside noises from infiltrating inside the ear. It results in a peaceful and quiet environment, and you will enjoy your favorite music even more.
Additionally, noise-canceling headphones also help in reducing fatigue, which is very common while traveling. The noise-canceling feature minimizes the exposure to low-frequency noise, which results in tiredness and exhaustion. These headphones block 70 percent of ambient noise, making them ideal for places with lots of background noise such as an airplane.
Noise-canceling headphones for flying – Buyer’s guide
1. Battery Life
Your music session can vary according to the requirements. However, headphones with low battery capacity can ruin your listening experience. It would be best to consider headphones that offer at least 15 hours of battery life. A quick charge capable headphone would be an added advantage.
2. Fit and comfort
As you will wear your headphones for hours on a flight, fit and comfort needs to be your top priority. A good fit also indicates that the headphone will perform better in isolating you from the surrounding and preventing ambient noise from filtering into your ear. The products listed below offer excellent support and comfort to your ears and will take your listening experience to a whole new level.
3. Excellent noise cancellation capabilities
Most of the headphones use advanced noise cancellation technology to offer a seamless and immersive listening experience. However, additional features such as adaptive noise cancellation take the game to the next level. The Sony WH1000XM3 adjusts its volume automatically according to the surrounding noise levels to maintain safe, the same volume of your favorite playlist.
4. Voice Assistant
Having access to Alexa or Google Assistant is a convenient feature, and many of our reviewed products come with a dedicated button to activate them. It allows more control over several things and is an essential feature to have.
5. Quick access
You may want to isolate entirely from the world, but sometimes it is better to keep your ears open to your surroundings. Features such as placing your hand on the ear cups to reduce the volume in the Sony WH1000XM3 are a useful feature to have.
Many prefer Bluetooth headphones over wired ones. However, it is not bad either to have this option on your noise-canceling headphones. Additionally, a dual Bluetooth connection can also be an excellent feature to have if you want to connect your headphones with two different devices.
List of the best noise-canceling headphones for airplane on the market
If you have a vacation on your mind and planning to buy a great-sounding noise-canceling headphone, here is the list that will ensure you have a comfortable journey.
1. Sony WH-1000XM4 Wireless Industry Leading Noise Canceling Overhead Headphones with Mic
If you consider anything with music, Sony, as a brand, will always score in the top five. The company has been dealing with music peripherals for decades and has produced many of the finest music products. This noise-canceling headphone is no exception and will offer an excellent music output for you. The Sony WH-1000XM4 is a class act, and by far, Sony’s standards provide a seamless experience.
We had these headphones on most of our test runs, and while we tested each of the products that find itself on the list, this unit is by far our favorite. The design is ergonomic, and you will never face any discomfort while listening to your favorite tunes. The best feature in the lot is the integration of voice-assistant Alexa that makes your job easier.
Overall, it is an excellent noise-canceling headphone that produces premium sound and offers up to 30 hours of music playback.
- Dual noise sensor technology for excellent noise-canceling
- Premium sound output with Edge-AI
- Features quick-charge technology
- Touch sensor controls
- Advanced noise-canceling technology that lowers the volume during conversations
- Ergonomic and comfortable design
- In-built microphone with superior call quality
2. Bose Noise-Canceling Wireless Bluetooth Headphones 700 with Alexa Voice Control for Airplane
Another worthy contender in the list that will offer an immersive sound experience while blocking the background noise is the Bose 700 wireless headphones. One of the best things about going wireless is to allow free movement. This posture ensures that you enjoy your journey and music without having to bother about the surroundings.
On the features front, the headphones pack a powerful performance with incredible sound and advanced voice pick-up. We loved the dedicated push-button for accessing Alexa, which adds to the overall experience. The battery life also impressed us, and you will have hours of uninterrupted music playback at your disposal. This product will isolate you from the surrounding, and we never faced an issue during our tests, including flying out straight on an eight-hour flight.
Overall, it is a must-try product for people who want the best noise-canceling headphones for flying.
- Comfortable and ergonomic design
- Lightweight and easy to use
- Excellent touch controls
- Excellent sound output with powerful noise-canceling technology
- Comes with 11 levels of noise cancellation
- Optimized for Alexa and Google assistant
- Features angled ear cups for a better fit
- Up to 20 hours of battery life
- No quick-charge support
3. Sony Noise Cancelling Headphones WH1000XM3: Wireless Bluetooth Over the Ear Headset with Mic
The seamless performance that Sony products offer makes them irresistible, so we have another impressive noise-canceling headphone from the brand. The WH1000XM3 comes with some neat features apart from providing outstanding audio outputs. For instance, you can place your hands over the ear cup to reduce the volume, which is very convenient if you are in for a quick conversation.
There are other gestures for controlling the music and voice assistant. The built quality is excellent, and we never felt any discomfort on our head and ears while wearing them on the flight. The package also includes a cable and an adapter plug, which will help you connect different devices. It opens up more options on the plane.
Overall, it is one of the best noise-canceling headphones for flying that offers up to 30 hours of battery life and premium sound quality.
- Multiple hand-gesture controls for convenient and smooth functioning
- Adjusts the ambient sound according to the surrounding
- Ergonomic and comfortable
- Easy to store with foldable design
- Premium sound quality
- Comes with an audio cable for wired audio connections
- Long battery life
- Touch controls for voice assistant
4. Bose QuietComfort 35 II Wireless Bluetooth Headphones Perfect for Flights
Traveling on an airplane for extended periods can take a toll on your body, especially your ears, as the engine sound and co-passengers can disrupt your sleep. However, an excellent noise-canceling headphone will significantly solve this problem, and our next product is a perfect example. Meet the Bose QuietComfort 35 II that will elevate your listening experience to a whole new level.
We loved the design, and the results that we got during our tests were incredible. The design fits comfortably in the ears, and you will have good cushioning support that also acts as an added layer of noise protection. The 35 II offers three noise cancellation levels, which allows you to make adjustments according to your requirements.
One of the main highlights of this noise-canceling headphone includes integrating augmented reality into the mix, which gives you further options for downloading AR-enhanced apps for your mobile devices.
Overall, it is a must-have accessory for anyone that wants a peaceful and enjoyable listening experience while traveling.
- Dual microphone system for noise rejection
- Clear voice and sound pick-up
- Comes with three levels of noise cancellation
- Supports AR-enhanced apps
- Easy to use controls and buttons
- Alexa-enabled for better music and information access
- Comfortable to wear
- Hassle-free Bluetooth pairing
- 30 hours of battery life could have been ideal
5. Sony Noise-canceling Headphones WHXB900N
The Sony WHXB900N is another impressive-sounding headphone that offers enhanced noise-canceling functionality in a comfortable and ergonomic design. We loved its construction, which comes with comfortable ear cushioning that provides excellent support and comfort to your ears. You will have no issues in using this headphone for extended periods, and as it works on wireless technology, you also get to enjoy free movement.
Apart from being comfortable, this Bluetooth-enabled noise-canceling headphone features touch controls for your music and voice assistant. The in-built microphone picks up sounds even in noisy environments, and the advanced noise-canceling technology eliminates the ambient noise to offer a seamless experience.
Other useful features include a quick attention mode and a dedicated gesture to activate Alexa for music and information. Overall, it is one of the best noise-canceling headphones for flights that offer up to 30 hours of non-stop music.
- Easy to use touch music controls for voice assistant and music
- Easy to set up
- Quick attention mode that reduces volume during conversations
- Integrated microphone for hands-free calling
- Up to 30 hours of battery life
- Comfortable ear cups with extra cushioning
- Ergonomic design that allows hours of usage
6. Bose SoundLink Around-Ear Wireless Headphones II
The Bose Soundlink series of headphones are one of the best in the market if you consider impressive music and EQ features. Our next product comes from this series and presents a combination of the active equalizer and TriPort technology that offers crisp and strong sound at any volume levels. You will love to travel with them and is one of the best noise-canceling headphones for flying.
Bose is known for delivering quality products that offer a seamless listening experience. Apart from having a top-notch built quality, this headphone features some unique features that make it more desirable. One of the most appealing features that impressed us the most is that it can connect with two devices simultaneously. If you receive a call on your phone while watching a movie on your iPad, the headphone pauses the video and gets the call. And the best part is that when your call gets completed, the video resumes.
Overall, it is an impressive-sounding headphone that has convenient controls and scores high on comfort and durability.
- Comfortable and durable design
- Offers crisp and clear sounds at all volume levels
- Excellent noise cancellation technology with an advanced microphone system
- Seamless switching between two Bluetooth devices
- Easy to use music controls
- Up to nine meters of wireless range
7. Jabra Evolve 75 UC Stereo Wireless Bluetooth Headset
A list that comprises the best noise-canceling headphones for flight is incomplete with a Jabra product, and the Evolve 75 UC is the perfect addition to this list. This world-class Bluetooth headset offers outstanding sound for music and calls and comes with advanced noise cancellation features that prove useful, especially in a flying scenario.
The headphone uses high-tech microphones to counter ambient noise and improves noise cancellation capabilities. It also comes with a dual Bluetooth connectivity feature, which allows you to enjoy music and receive calls. We loved the ergonomic and comfortable design that feels incredibly comfortable even if you are using it for extended periods.
It also features an integrated, busy light that will help others know that you are in a call, especially in noisy backgrounds. Overall, it is an excellent choice for people who want superior sound and impressive Bluetooth coverage.
- Impressive wireless range of 30 meters
- Outstanding sound for music and calls
- Superior active noise cancellation technology
- Comfortable and lightweight
- Dual Bluetooth connectivity
- Integrated busy life improves productivity
- Easy to set up
- Lacks Alexa and voice assistant support
8. Sony WHH900N Hear on 2 Wireless over-ear Noise-canceling High-Resolution Headphones
Our next product will undoubtedly win accolades among style enthusiasts who want impressive sound quality and stunning design. The Sony WHH900N is a sleek and attractive wireless headphone that packs some unique features to enhance your listening experience. It features an advanced compression technology that offers high-resolution sound quality on any volume level.
We loved the comfortable design and never faced an issue wearing it on for hours. The interface is simple, and it responds well to every touch. Our tests included listening to music on a flight, and we were delighted with the results. Despite having a full flight, the unit prevented any ambient noise from filtering through the ear cups.
Whether you are listening to music or watching a movie, this high-quality headphone will fine-tune your sound with the Sony connect app’s help. Overall, it is an excellent choice for a comfortable and trendy design at a lower price.
- High-quality sound output
- Digital noise-canceling mode for added convenience
- Easy to use touch controls
- Comfortable and lightweight
- Up to 28 hours of battery life
- One-touch connect NFC support
- Comes with AUX and USB cable
9. COWIN E9 Active Travel Noise-Canceling Bluetooth Headphones
If you are looking for a headphone that offers excellent active noise-canceling capabilities and doesn’t put a hole in your pocket, the COWIN E9 is worth considering. Despite a cheaper price tag, this is one of the best noise-canceling headphones for flying as it delivers impressive results in noisy conditions. Our review unit fared well in all our tests, and we had nothing to complain about this product.
The design is excellent and comes with superior cushioning that provides adequate comfort and support to your ears. Apart from having impressive noise-canceling technology, this headphone comes with ACC audio codecs that offer immersive and resonant sound quality at any volume level. You will love to have them on while on the flight as it isolates you from the surroundings and offers an excellent listening experience.
Overall, it is a budget-champion and a product that will keep you engaged with music for hours.
- Comfortable and soft ear cushions
- Superior sound quality with ACC audio codecs
- Up to 30 hours of battery life
- Features advanced noise cancellation technology
- Lightweight and durable
- Easy to store with foldable design
- Comes with Bluetooth 5.0
10. Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT Wireless Bluetooth Over-Ear Headphones
If you are looking for a wireless headphone that offers long battery life and impressive sound output. This headphone’s main highlight is the exceptional 40 hours count on the battery life, which will undoubtedly entice hardcore music lovers. We also loved the presence of convenient touch controls that offers easy access over the interface.
The design is ergonomic and sits comfortably over your ears without applying pressure. This over-ear design offers excellent sound isolation in noisy environments, including flights. It also features an advanced noise-canceling technology that prevents background noises from filtering into your ears, making this product a must-buy product for music lovers.
Overall, it is an outstanding product that offers excellent battery life, impressive sound output, and a budget-friendly price tag.
- Comfortable and lightweight
- Up to 40 hours of battery life
- Excellent intuitive controls
- Bluetooth and AUX support
- Easy to store with foldable design
- Excellent noise-canceling capabilities
- Superior sound output
- Excellent sound isolation
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Which is the best noise-canceling headphone for flying?
As we mentioned earlier, we have tested these products in various conditions and environments. They all performed well, and though some outclass others in some way or the other, choosing an ultimate winner can be tricky. However, the Sony WH-1000XM4 noise-canceling overhead headphone is our primary pick as it offers impressive sound output with the trust of a reputed brand. The noise-canceling capability of this headphone is also excellent, and the controls are easy and intuitive. It will become your ideal traveling partner, especially in airplanes, with an impressive battery life of up to 30 hours.
2. Can noise-canceling headphones reduce fatigue while flying?
When you are traveling on an airplane, you will more often face fatigue as your companion. The exposure to extended low-frequency noise and your surroundings can add exhaustion to your body and ruin your traveling experience. Many experts say that noise-canceling headphones are an excellent tool to reduce fatigue. These headphones isolate your mind from the surrounding, which lets you enjoy total tranquility. Apart from reducing exhaustion and tiredness, it fetches your favorite music to your ears, which is altogether a rejuvenating experience while traveling.
We recommend the Bose 700 wireless headphones as they come with 11 levels of noise cancellation system, offering more control over the noise level.
3. Which is the best budget-friendly noise-canceling headphone?
More often, budget-oriented products fall short of features over their premium counterparts. We have tested some lower-priced headphones that offer more than their price and fall short by few margins. Among all the budget-friendly headphones that we have tested, the COWIN E9 will undoubtedly win the race. This product offers impressive sound quality with support for various audio codecs. It also features advanced noise-canceling technology that isolates you from your surroundings to provide immersive sound. We loved its compact design and never faced an issue even after hours of usage on our journey.
4. Do wireless noise-canceling headphones interfere with the plane?
No, wireless headphones are perfectly safe for the flight and its passengers. The operating range of most wireless headphones is limited, and so it never interferes with the communication between the plane and the satellites. Many airports offer wireless headphones, and you will find Bose QuietComfort 35 II as one of the typical offerings.
If you are a fan of augmented reality, then this comfortable and high-quality headphone has many apps that you can explore. It combines advanced noise-canceling capabilities with AR-enhanced apps to offer an immersive sound experience and ones that you should undoubtedly check out.
5. Can you make a conversation with noise cancellation turned on?
Yes, you can make a conversation with noise cancellation turned on. The advanced microphone system not only cuts background noises but also helps you to have conversations. The Sony WH1000XM3 comes with a unique feature, which allows you to place your hand over the ear cup to reduce the volume. This function will enable you to make a quick conversation without interrupting your music playback. It also features other touch controls that allow you to control the music and activate the voice assistant.
6. Which noise-canceling headphone has the best battery life?
If you are looking for excellent battery life combined with impressive sound output, the Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT Wireless Bluetooth Over-Ear Headphones is undoubtedly the champion. This headphone offers an exceptional battery life of 40 hours, coupled with superior sound quality and noise cancellation. Apart from providing a long battery life, it is comfortable and features a lightweight design, and you will have no issues regarding the noise cancellation capabilities.