Wood chippers are used in shredding or chopping wood to help reduce organic wastes or dead branches from your yard. If your farm has a lot of trees and bushes, then owning the best wood chipper for small farm will help you a great deal.
The plants and trees in a garden can produce a considerable amount of organic waste, which can leave you with a truckload of cleaning to do. But with a wood chipper, you can clean up much more easily and quickly than compared to other cleaning methods you might apply.
Furthermore, using a wood chipper will no longer require you to burn wastes and help save the environment from the pollution caused by the smoke. And also, who wouldn’t want a well-trimmed, clean, and beautiful yard? All thanks to technology and all the fresh and useful innovation, now you can easily maintain your yard with this valuable equipment.
Another reason why owning a wood chipper should be a must is because the chipped debris works as an excellent option for mulching, which provides enough moisture to the soil and protects the plants, and also enhances the landscape by giving an even and clean look.
Investing in a wood chipper is also beneficial and economical because you can easily have your homemade mulch, while landscapers would spend a considerable amount of money on chipped woody materials for their property. This allows you to earn a little extra buck by selling the chipped woods you wouldn’t be using.
Table of Contents
- Wood Chipper Buyer’s Guide
- Types of Wood Chippers
- List of The Best Wood Chippers For Small Farms
- Frequently asked questions regarding wood chippers
- How to correctly and safely use a wood chipper?
- What type of debris can you put in a wood chipper?
- How to maintain my wood chipper’s blade?
- Is owning a wood chipper economical?
- Should I buy an electric chipper or a gas chipper for my farm?
- Which is the best gas wood chipper?
- Related posts:
Wood Chipper Buyer’s Guide
Shopping for the best wood chipper for a small farm is made accessible because of its plentiful options available in the market. But also its abundant options can easily hamper your decision process.
Therefore, to avoid making the wrong choices, carefully analyze the buying guide given below.
Types of Wood Chippers
There are three types of wood chippers; although they achieve the same goals, they work differently. There are PTO chippers, gas chippers, and electric chippers.
The PTO chippers are designed especially for farmers or professionals because tractor’s driveshafts power these units.
Electric chippers, on the other hand, are lighter and compact, making them conveniently portable. But electric chippers are usually less flexible and can only handle smaller branches.
And then the gas chippers are wood chippers powered by gas. When it comes to strength and power, the gas chipper overtakes the electric ones. It is more versatile and has more ability to deal with larger branches and sticks.
· Wood Chipper With Shredder Combo
This type of combo chipper is considered the best for home use. Since it can chip up good size woods and even shred it and give you homemade mulch, which is beneficial for improving your plant’s health quality.
Yes, there are wood chippers that can be highly expensive, but there are also reasonably priced ones that can offer as much service as the expensive ones. So if you are on a tight budget, then you don’t have to splurge on a costly wood chipper, because there are plenty of cheaper chippers available on the market that will suit your needs.
Considering a chipper’s capacity is another essential thing. Depending on the size of the branches, the capacity of the chipper increases. And likewise, the larger the capacity, the heavier the price gets.
· Reduction Ratio
You should also look for a machine that has an excellent high ratio, and this is because it tells you how efficiently the wood chipper can reduce your yard wastes. For example, a chipper shredder machine with an 8:1 ratio means that eight bags of debris will be reduced to one bag. The higher the reduction rates, the more powerful the device will be.
You should also check that the wood chipper is transportation friendly because you would prefer to have the ability to move the chipper anywhere you want to on your farm. Therefore, make sure that the wood chipper comes with wheels, and are compact design to allow more convenient portability.
Considering all these above guides and tips, here’s a list of some of the top wood chippers for small farms.
List of The Best Wood Chippers For Small Farms
Mentioned below are some of the best wood chippers ideal for a small farm that are definitely worth your attention.
1. Landworks Wood Chipper Shredder
If you have a small farm and would love a powerful machine that will suit your farm works, then this is the right match for you.
· The Landworks is a powerful wood chipper powered by gas with a top hopper that can grind twigs of up to 0.5 inches thick and also has a side chute that can handle ranches with a thickness of 3 inches.
· The unit comes with a hooking port that lets you hook the chipper with your small tractor or lawnmower. And its large wheels and handle make it easier for transportation.
· Another cool addition to it is the vacuum inlet option that allows easy and swift leaf loading for shredding. It also has a 15:1 reduction ratio.
· It comes with a sensor that indicates when fuel is low and automatically shuts the engine. This feature prevents any damage to the engine.
· And it also has an overload protection feature that keeps the engine from overworking.
· The Landworks multipurpose chipper is a heavy-duty chipper that is easy to use and quite durable and requires very little maintenance.
· It has a decent size hopper.
· The chipper is quite easy to assemble.
· It efficiently chips the wood.
· The debris bag that it comes with could be bigger.
2. Patriot CSV-3100B Wood Chipper
The Patriot CSV-3100B with a 10hp engine is built for power and speed. This machine is ideal for handling all the debris a decent sized yard or farm would produce.
· It is a heavy-duty machine that makes chipping and shredding debris a breeze. It can quickly chop up branches of up to three inches in diameter.
· The chipper is a gas-powered machine with the power and speed to quickly and efficiently make mulch out of any debris.
· Its low-tone muffler lets the chipper get its work done much more quietly than compared with much smaller machines.
· It also comes with twin steel cutters and Y-hammers that evenly chips the woods and grinds the debris to pieces.
· These steel cutters and Y-hammer flails are quite easy to remove, making them more straightforward or more comfortable to sharpen and maintain.
· The chipper also comes with a cool feature, which is the low oil sensor. This feature automatically shuts the engine when the oil is low, thus preventing any engine damage and making the operation safe.
· And it has large wheels making it easier for transportation.
· Its valve designed on the overhead keeps the unit clean, gives greater fuel efficiency, and keeps the machine cool.
· It can easily and quickly chip all debris into pieces.
· It is a lot quieter.
· Easy to assemble.
3. Super Handy Wood Chipper
The Super handy wood chipper is a decent performing machine that offers the safety and efficiency you require in a chipper. Although the Super handy brand is lesser-known, it is definitely worth the attention.
· The Super Handy wood chipper is a multifunction machine with a large enough hopper that can conveniently shred and chip debris into pieces.
· It can chop branches or woods of up to 3 inches in diameter and has a 15.1 reduction ratio.
· It is a powerful wood chipper with a gas-powered engine. And it comes with a hooking port that lets you hook the chipper with your small tractor or lawnmower.
· The chipper has a fuel capacity of 0.7 gallons that can conveniently last you a long time.
· It has large enough wheels of 6 inches that let you reach every corner of your farm more swiftly and conveniently.
· The machine has a decent build quality and does its work with lesser noise.
· It also comes with a three-year warranty and definitely has good money value.
· It is easy to start up the machine.
· The unit is sturdy and easily chops up branches.
4. Great Circle USA Wood Chipper Shredder Mulcher
The Great Circle USA wood chipper is an excellent option for you to have your yard cleared from all the debris without any hassle. This wood chipper ensures that all of your yard’s needs are met.
· The multipurpose chipper comes with a top hopper that allows easy and volume chipping. Its side chute makes chopping smaller branches a breeze. And along with its leaf shredder makes it a complete unit.
· It is a powerful machine that can handle 3 inches of wood diameter and has a 15:1 mulch reduction ratio.
· It also comes with a hooking port giving the convenience and flexibility to hook your personal ATV easily or small tractor and transports the chipper easily to where you want to work/
· This gas-powered wood chipper has a powerful engine with its 7HP 212cc making it a highly efficient tool for your farm.
· The Great Circle USA is a heavy-duty wood chipper that will support and offer excellent service with its compact design. This wood chipper is worth your attention.
· It is pretty easy to start up the engine.
· It chips the wood impressively with an impressive reduction ratio.
5. Landworks Mini Wood Chipper Shredder Mulcher
The Landworks mini wood chipper is a compact machine that offers the power and speed comparable to that of bigger machines.
· The mini wood chipper comes with a large enough hopper to allow a large volume of chipping or shredding with ease.
· It can quickly chop branches that are 3 inches in diameter and has a mulching reduction ratio of 15:1, which means that it can pretty much chop up the debris to pieces.
· Another cool feature is its ability to get hooked with a small tractor or lawnmower to provide the ease of transportation when you want to move the chipper to a specific spot on your farm.
· It is a gas-powered mini chipper with high chipping power with little to no hiccups during operation.
· This wood chipper is also explicitly designed to provide with operator’s safety.
· It is cool that the mini wood chipper comes with a 3-year warranty with Landworks’ reputation of providing a satisfactory support team.
· Good value for money
· Quite easy to assemble
· Powerful for a compact-sized wood chipper
6. Champion Portable Chipper Shredder
The Champion portable chipper shredder is designed to clear out your yard without any hassle efficiently. It has the power to transform your organic wastes such as branches, leaves into a fine mulch, which offers lots of benefits to your plants.
· The champion chipper shredder is built with two strong steel blades that can easily chop the branches.
· Its chipper chute can chew through 3 inches branches with ease. And for the shredder chute, it comes with a 13.8-inch blade along with four hammers that can swiftly shred away all leaves and yard’s debris into tiny pieces.
· This wood chipper has durable steel built and is gas-powered with a fuel capacity of 1.6 gallons.
· Its cool feature includes its low oil sensor. This feature shuts the engine when the oil hits a particular mark, thus preventing any possible damage to the engine.
· It also has very durable 12-inch tires, which makes the chipper super convenient to move around.
· The Champion chipper is simple and easy to operate with its one pull start system making it ideal for a first time operator.
· Easy to start up the chipper
· The unit has a lot of power.
· Easy to assemble
· It can get a little loud.
7. Earthquake Tazz K52 Chipper Shredder
The Earthquake Tazz K52 is a powerful gas-powered chipper shredder that is ideal for small to medium-sized farms.
· The Earthquake Tazz K52 is a compact design gas-powered chipper with an easy start system.
· It is a perfect size chipper for convenient operation. The unit is 51 inches tall, letting you effortlessly drop in the debris or branches without having to lift them.
· It can easily handle up to 3 inches in diameter of branches.
· This product comes with heavy-duty hammers and knives that can chop all wastes with ease and has a mulch reduction ratio of 20:1
· Its compact package makes it super convenient for transportation and takes very little storage space.
· The chipper also comes with large enough 11 inches wheels with never-flat tires that are ready to roll anytime you are ready.
· It is a steel built chipper, sturdy, and highly durable, which will last you a long time.
· Its decent size debris bag lets you fit in enough debris, and its handle adds to its portability.
· It has a compact size and height.
· The wood chipper has decent value for money.
· It is a tough and durable chipper.
· Assembling the unit can get slightly complicated.
Everybody loves to have their yard well-trimmed and maintained, but it can be a real drag when you do not have the right equipment to work with. But with the above list of best wood chippers, you can now purchase the right wood chipper and clear all your yard’s debris hassle-free. Turn those organic wastes into mulch and enhance the moisture of the soil and improve the health of your plants and flowers.
Therefore, carefully pick the chipper that best suits your needs and have yourself a neat and clean yard all year round.
Frequently asked questions regarding wood chippers
How to correctly and safely use a wood chipper?
Using a wood chipper is pretty simple. Depending on the type of chipper you choose, the instructions have little variations.
· Before you begin operating the wood chipper, the first thing to do is read the manual thoroughly. The instruction will be self-explanatory.
· It is important to wear the right safety gear when operating a wood chipper. Make sure that you have your hard hat on, ear protection, safety glasses, heavy-duty gloves, and boots. Also, ensure that your clothes are snug-fitting to avoid any possibility of it getting caught in the machine.
· Make sure that the wood you chip does not exceed the diameter recommended for the specific machine to avoid any severe machine damage.
· And you should make sure that you place the wood chipper on level ground, clear from any debris or limbs.
Following these safety instructions will ensure you a secure and safe operation.
What type of debris can you put in a wood chipper?
Just as the name suggests, a wood chipper can only chop wood and shred leaves. Most of the wood chippers are highly durable with incredible power to efficiently handle all the organic wastes from your yard like branches, twigs, leaves, etc. can be conveniently chipped and shredded with best results. But if you try to chip other debris like woods used in building structures, which means that there is the possibility of some nails still sticking in the wood, or papers, plastic, etc. Then note that even if the chipper can handle cutting through nails, plastics, papers, it will cause severe damage to your machine and will be extremely expensive to have it repaired.
How to maintain my wood chipper’s blade?
When using your wood chipper, if you begin to notice that the machine is taking more than the usual time to chip and encounter irregular shreds, then know that the blades are getting blunt, and it is time to sharpen or change them. To whet your blade, you can simply use a filing stone and sharpen it at a right angle. Or, if you are not comfortable sharpening it yourself, you can have a professional sharpen it.
But when removing the blade from the wood chipper, you should never forget first to disconnect the unit’s spark plug to avoid any possibilities of the engine starting back on.
Is owning a wood chipper economical?
Buying a wood chipper may cost you some money upfront but is an excellent value for money in the long run. You will want a clean yard all year long, so what could be more comfortable and more money-saving than to have your yard trimmed and cleared by yourself? If you have a wood chipper, without anybody’s help, you can clear out all the organic wastes from your yard.
But what’s even better is that you will end up with your very own high-quality mulch without having to pay hundreds and thousands of dollars like other landscapers.
Should I buy an electric chipper or a gas chipper for my farm?
Both the electric chipper and gas-powered wood chipper are equally useful and get the work done efficiently. But there can be some variations depending on the convenience of the type of debris you will be mostly working.
An electric chipper can be quite convenient to use because it requires less maintenance. A lot quieter, lightweight, and is less expensive. But they are not as powerful and swift as the other wood chippers, and its cord restricts movement. These make them ideal for smaller yards with lesser debris to handle.
While a gas wood chipper is definitely louder and costs a little more, it has more power. It swiftly chips larger loads and can move anywhere you want because they are cordless.
Thus they are ideal for larger yards with heavier loads.
Which is the best gas wood chipper?
There are some good gas-powered wood chippers available on the market. A good wood chipper comprises efficiency, speed, capacity, durability, and of course, its price. And some of the best gas-powered wood chippers that have all the above qualities are the Landworks mini wood chipper shredder mulcher, Patriot Products CSV-3100B, Great Circle USA wood chipper, to name a few.