Whether it’s a crossbow or plain simple archery, you need to practice hard to improve your aim. The more you practice, the more you adapt yourself to different shooting scenarios.
One of the most important ingredients for an epic practice session is the lack of disturbance. But if you need to keep changing your targets after every five shots, that’ll disturb you a lot.
This article will review some of the best targets that can handle over 400 FPS from Amazon. Using these 400 FPS targets, you can practice for endless hours and days with peace. Therefore let’s not waste any time and start with it!
During the early ages of the earth, millions of years ago, we humans had to hunt for our food. Life was not so easy, and nothing came for free. During those times, our ancestors engineered different tools for hunting. One of the most recognizable tools was the bow and arrow. The bow and arrow are used for hunting until today and also used in sports. One of the more modern derivations of the bow and arrow is the Crossbow.
The Crossbow is the more advanced and compact form of a bow and arrow. As with all other tools, a person needs to practice to get better with anything. There are different types of crossbow targets that are available to help you practice your crossbow aim. Everything about the Crossbow and the crossbow targets is discussed further in this article. Read on to find out more.
Table of Contents
- What is a crossbow?
- What is a Crossbow Target?
- Crossbow Targets Buyer’s Guide
- List Of The Best Crossbow Targets for Over 400 FPS
- Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Crossbow Targets
- What is the FPS?
- How much FPS can targets handle?
- Can targets damage arrows?
- What is crossbow targets made of?
- What is a good FPS for Crossbows?
- Do you need a special target for a crossbow?
- How do you pull arrows out of a target?
- What is a 3D deer target?
- Related posts:
Here you can find some of the best broadheads for 400fps crossbows: https://www.bestof.info/best-broadheads-for-crossbow-over-400-fps/, and here, some of the best 400fps crossbows: https://www.bestof.info/best-crossbows/
What is a crossbow?
A crossbow can be explained as a mechanical bow. A metal bow-shaped piece of metal is attached to a metal rod-like base. An elastic piece of string is connected to both ends of the bow. The most important feature of a crossbow is that it can be loaded up for instant launch. The elastic string can be stretched and latched on to a firing mechanism on the metal base. The Crossbow has a gun like a trigger to fire the arrow. Two of the essential features of the Crossbow are spontaneous nature and high portability.
What is a Crossbow Target?
A crossbow target is basically an area on which a person can practice their crossbow aim. There are two main functions of a crossbow target. The first and foremost task being that it should be big enough that it can be viewed from a long-distance away. The target should be big and flat in shape. Furthermore, the target should be brightly colored so that it keeps itself distinct from its surroundings. This will make it easier for the person to judge and assess his shot.
The second most vital function is that the target should be able to catch the arrows and not let them pass through. The crossbow arrows might come pre-bundled with the Crossbow, or they can be bought as a standalone item, but that does not mean they are cheap. Moreover, the arrows are re-useable. If during the target practice, the arrows penetrate the target and pass through them, you’ll lose a lot of arrows and a lot more money.
Crossbow Targets Buyer’s Guide
While buying a crossbow target, there are some characteristics that you should double-check. Those characteristics are listed below:
- Choose the proper material: There are mainly three types of materials for targets, the first is the regular bag style targets, the second is the solid foam targets, and the third of all the layered foam targets. Each of the different material has its characteristics and can adequately handle a specific type of arrowhead. Buy your target according to the nature of the arrowhead you use.
- The durability of the target: the target should be durable enough to handle a large number of hits. If it falls apart after a few months, then it will increase your expenses.
- Let the arrows be pulled out easily: one of the most significant factors while buying a crossbow target is the ease at which it lets the arrow is pulled out from itself. If it takes a lot of force to pull them out, it will be a hassle for the person pulling it out, and the force might bend or break the arrow and render it useless.
- Target should have multiple aims: if an arrow penetrates the same point in a target more than once, it could cause damage to the arrow. Therefore the target should have multiple aiming locations to let the shooter aim and shoot worry-free.
- Should be able to handle 400 fps arrows: the modern crossbows have become quite powerful. At the minimum, they can shoot arrows at 400 fps. Therefore the target that you are buying should be able to handle and stop arrows, which are 400 fps and above.
List Of The Best Crossbow Targets for Over 400 FPS
To better help you choose the best crossbow target, two of the best targets on Amazon have been chosen and will be reviewed. You cannot go wrong if you choose any one of them.
1. Morrell 400 FPS Archery Target
First of all, the company Morrell is one of the most appreciated and most popular companies in regards to target making. With an average of 4.4 stars out of 5 on Amazon, the Super Duper Field Point Bag Archery Target is one of the most customer satisfactory targets online. One of the biggest reasons for its success is the fact that it is highly durable. A list of its features is given below.
- 400FPS resistance: The Morrell SuperDuper can handle crossbow arrows that move at speeds of around 400FPS. It, therefore, can easily handle most of the crossbows that you might have in your arsenal. It also means that it can maintain its integrity against 400FPS arrows much longer than the other targets.
- Internal Frame System Technology: Morrell uses its technology to keep the target in proper shape event after it has been hit hundreds of times. It is known as the Internal Frame System Technology, which ensures that the person shooting from across the field does not have to fix the target after every single shot. The technology increases both the durability of the target and the proper usability of the target.
- Multilayered Density design: The Morrell Target is a bag style target that is made up of dense, multilayered material. It has a lot of good implications within the product. First of all, the target has support for a wide range of arrowheads. It means that you can practice with all the different arrowheads on the target. Furthermore, the material makes it possible to remove the arrows from the target effortlessly. It means that it causes no harm to the arrows and causes no fatigue to the person.
- Weather Proof: The target is made with premium materials, and therefore it is entirely safe for prolonged outdoor use. It is completely waterproof and weatherproof. It is ideal if you live somewhere that has harsh or unpredictable weather.
- Target aims: the target has relatively big and bright aims printed on it. On top of that, the size of the target itself provides a large area to shoot on. Both these make for a comfortable shooting experience. The problem of double penetration of the arrow at the same place is also removed.
- Durability: All of the features of the target combine to provide excellent durability to the product. The internal frame system and the multilayered density material makes way for a sturdy as well as long-lasting target. Furthermore, the company tests the targets and makes sure that they last for well over thousands of hits. Therefore if durability is one of your major priorities, then this one should be your best bet.
The Morrell Super Duper Field Point Bag Archery Target checks all the right boxes when it comes to crossbow targets. It is highly durable and strong enough to handle blows from most of the crossbows. Furthermore, being from a trusted brand that has a lot of goodwill among its customers, the product can be easily trusted. Even if something happens to the target, the company provides a two years warranty on the product.
2. Morrell 450FPS Archery Target – for Crossbows, Compounds, Traditional Bows, and Airbows
The next product that will be reviewed here for you is the Morrell Double Duty 450FPS target. It is again from the same trustworthy company as the previous one, which is Morrell. With a rating of 4.6 stars out of 5 in Amazon and well over a thousand customer reviews, it is one of the most bought and the most trusted crossbow target on the online selling platform. It checks quite a few boxes and provides a lot of features. Read on to find out what the Morrell Double Duty 450FPS target has to offer.
- 450FPS Resistance: One of the biggest highlights of the product is its ability to handle 450FPS crossbow arrows. Most of the commercial arrows out there max out at around 400FPS; some few models can reach speeds up to 450FPS. If you have one of those powerful models, then this target will be your best choice. Even if you have a 400FPS crossbow, this will perform even better and will take a lot more beating than a 400FPS target.
- Premium Stuffing Material: The Morrell Double Duty 450FPS is a bag style target. It is filled with heavy-duty and weatherproof stuffing material. The stuffing material serves two purposes. First of all, the material is strong enough to stop the 450FPS arrows, no matter which arrowhead is being used. It means that you won’t be losing any of your precious arrows any time soon unless you miss the target! The second role that the stuffing plays is that it keeps the target rigid and sturdy. It prevents the target from losing its shape after being hit a few times.
- Wide target Aim options: the target has different aims printed on each side. It has the traditional 5 Bullseyes aim, the nine pool ball aim, a dashboard game, and lastly deer vitals outline. Each of these targets has a varying level of difficulty; this makes the target a perfect choice for aim practice.
- Replaceable cover option: The Morrell Double Duty 450FPS targets let you replace their covers. You can, but those covers from them so you don’t need to worry about losing those aims. The replaceable covers mean that if your cover rips or has too many holes or is too dirty, you can change it and put a new one.
- Fully weatherproof: It is weatherproof. It can withstand harsh climates. If you’re practicing and all of a sudden it starts to rain, don’t worry. You can carry it to the shade, not having to rush, it is waterproof.
If you have a slightly powerful crossbow or if you want a longer-lasting target, then the Double Duty 450FPS is your best choice. The target is much stronger and thicker than the other targets. It enables the target to handle more than a thousand hits easily.
3. Block Vault 4-Sided Archery Target
The Black Vault is both designed and manufactured to be robust. Its revolutionary Polyfusion core helps it handle 400 FPS arrows easily.
Its patented multi-layer technology does not fore the arrow to a dead stop. It uses friction and, therefore, does not damage the arrowhead. Furthermore, the target is available in 4 different sizes and sports a distance friendly high contrast print.
- It has a Polyfusion core with friction stop technology.
- Keeps your arrows safe.
- Open/multilayered core for effortless arrow removal.
- It has a High contrast print with long, medium, close-range target prints.
- You can get it in 4 sizes.
4. Morrell High Roller Foam Archery Target
The Morrell 2019 is designed like a red dice with white accents; this high contrast makes it fit for long-range practice. Moreover, it keeps your arrow safe and sound with its High roller foam technology. With over 450 FPS impact handling capabilities, you have nothing to worry about when practicing. Furthermore, the special Foam makes arrow removal easy, no matter which arrowhead you use. These characteristics make the Morrell a no-hassle crossbow/classic bow practice target.
- The High Roller Foam makes way for up to 450 FPS arrow practice.
- Its special foam also allows for easy arrow removal and lets you use Field heads, Broadheads, and Mechanical Blades.
- Small and easy to transport with the attached rope handle.
- It has a vibrant design for easier visibility.
- Available in a single size only.
5. Delta McKenzie Targets Crossbow Discharge Bag Target
The Delta McKenzie Crossbow Discharge is one of their most popular targets because of its no-frills design.
The target comes in the form of a bag with four target sides. The prints have different sizes for a proper close to long-range practice. The target is easy to move around because of its handle and lightweight. The tough outer cover and multilayered inner filling can easily handle 400 FPS arrows without sustaining huge damages. Moreover, it lets you take out arrows with less effort as well.
- Simple design with ergonomics and portability kept in mind.
- It is easy to carry around because of the lightweight and attached handle.
- This product has high longevity due to the tough exterior cover.
- It has different target print sizes for easier long-range practice.
- The target is meant for arrows with field tips only. Most of the other targets allow for broadheads as well.
6. SpyderWeb ST 14 XL Archery and Crossbow Target-No Speed Limit
The SpyderWeb ST is one of the most robust targets in this list. It has high longevity due to its weatherproof design and amazing self-healing technology.
This target has a unique outer layer, which, coupled with the patented inner material, enables the target to handle the sun and rains with ease.
One of the best characteristics of the SpyderWeb target is its self-healing foam. This enables you to practice without any worries of ruining the target for at least a few years.
The target comes with a life-like print of a deer heart to let you practice your precision kill shot from long distances.
- It has a self-healing foam that is tough enough to handle 400 FPS arrows.
- The weatherproof design can handle light rains and direct sunlight with ease.
- It has life-like target prints for practicing precision shots.
- It can handle a wide range of arrow sizes.
- The target has only two shooting sides
7. Morrell Big High Roller XL Target
With its unique design and vibrant colors, the Morrell Big High Roller is one of a kind target. It is designed like a pyramid dice with prints that let you practice close to long-range shots.
The material used is very dense and can easily stop 500 FPS arrows. Furthermore, the material is weatherproof and can handle the punishment of being kept outside easily.
Lastly, the target’s inner structure lets you use field tips, broadheads, and other tips as well. Furthermore, you can use a wide variety of bows without worrying as well.
- High quality, tough and durable material that can handle 500 FPS arrows.
- Weatherproof design for extended longevity.
- It has a vibrant design for easy long-range target practice.
- The targets support a wide range of arrows and arrowheads for efficient usage.
- The shape makes it unstable at times.
8. BIGshot Iron Man 24” Speed Bow Field Point Archery Target
The Bigshot Iron Man 24” is one of the biggest entries in our list. At 24 inches, it provides you with a big area for proper long-range target practice.
It uses military-grade fibers and multi-directional weaving technology to handle and stop whatever you shoot at it. You can shoot arrows over 400 FPS at it easily.
The target also uses dense, heavy compression material backed up by a professional-grade inner metal framework. This provides the target with high stability and stopping power.
Lastly, the target is covered with a special weatherproof cover, which lets it handle tough weather conditions with ease.
- The high-quality design makes way for a professional experience.
- The military-grade materials can take a heavy beating along with providing high longevity.
- It has an integrated inner metal frame for increased sturdiness and balance.
- The large target size makes way for easy visibility at longer ranges. Furthermore, life-like deer vital print for actual shooting practices.
- Weatherproof design for hassle-free usage.
- The target might seem a bit bulky at times.
9. Rinehart Targets 18-1 Broadhead Target
The Rinehart target is one of our
list’s most uniquely designed targets. The unique design not only makes it look
good but also has a unique purpose.
The target lets you practice hard angled shots, which make you handle difficult hunting situations easily.
The target is made with special
self-healing foam that increases its longevity by manifolds. Furthermore, the
target can handle arrows traveling at 500 FPS with ease.
It also has different sized targets letting you practice shooting from different ranges.
- The target lets you practice your shooting skills close to real-life scenarios with its angled and different sized target prints.
- It has high longevity due to the self-healing material. The technology also makes way for easy arrow removal.
- The target can handle arrows traveling up to 500 FPS. Therefore it can handle most of the consumer-grade crossbows with ease.
- High-quality materials make it strong but keep it lightweight, increasing the portability and ergonomics of the target.
- The target is built to handle broadhead arrows, especially. If you have a different arrowhead, you might face some issues.
Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Crossbow Targets
To help you out even further below is an FAQ section where some of the most commonly asked questions in this regard are answered.
What is the FPS?
FPS, also known as Feet Per Second, is the standard unit in which arrows’ speed is measured. Different models of crossbows shoot the arrow at a different speed. Therefore, it is important to know your crossbow’s FPS capability.
How much FPS can targets handle?
The capacity varies from target to target. The FPS handling capability depends upon the materials used within the target. Make sure that you match the FPS capability of your crossbow with that of your target. If the arrow is faster than what the target can handle, the target won’t last long.
Can targets damage arrows?
If the targets use solid cores to stop the arrows, then it might damage the arrowhead. Therefore you need to research about the target before you buy it. All of the targets suggested here have soft cores that keep your arrows safe.
What is crossbow targets made of?
Crossbow targets are usually made of foam. To tackle different types of arrowheads, and different speeds of arrows, the density of the foam is changed accordingly. Usually, there are three different densities of foam that are used.
What is a good FPS for Crossbows?
Usually, for the best hitting force and best distance coverage, the FPS of a crossbow should be 350+. Any less and the crossbow will not be effective at distances.
Do you need a special target for a crossbow?
Yes, you do need a particular target for a crossbow. The reason is that the crossbow arrows are different in size, shape, and force. If you use traditional targets to practice, you will end up damaging or breaking the arrow.
How do you pull arrows out of a target?
The safest and most effective way to pull out crossbow arrows from the target is by using an arrow puller and a lube. The OMP Flexpull arrow puller and lube combo is the best combo product out there for all your arrow pulling needs.
What is a 3D deer target?
A 3D deer target is an artificial dummy of a deer that has the vitals of a deer embarked on it. It is one of the best tools to practice for hunting. The DELTA 51490 Bloodline Buck, X-Large is one of the best deer targets because of its large size and its durability. It supports all kinds of arrowheads and can take a lot of pounding.
The moment you stop using your crossbow, your aim will take a serious hit. Furthermore, state laws and regulations don’t let you hunt all year round. Therefore the best way to keep your skills polished is to practice on targets.
Choosing the right target that suits you and your crossbow is very important. If the target and your crossbow configurations don’t match, then either your arrows will get damaged, or the target might get destroyed after a few hits.
You will get to know a lot about the technicalities of how these targets work through our buyer’s guide provided above. Besides that, if you know your crossbow properly and choose any target from our list, you won’t have any complaints.
Therefore don’t waste any more time and get your target now!