Having your coffee machine at home can make your life so much easier. If your budget is less than $500 read continue reading to find our which are the best automatic coffee machines under $500 You will no longer have to go out and wait in a line every time you need a good cup of coffee. With your coffee machine, you can also get a cup of coffee for a fraction of what you pay for at the coffee shop.
If you’re looking to buy your coffee machine, but don’t know what to look for, then you’ve come to the right place. We’ve listed out the best automatic coffee machines which are available for under $500.
Table of Contents:
- Buyer’s Guide
- Best automatic coffee machines reviewed
- What is a fully automatic coffee machine?
- What is the difference between automatic and semi-automatic espresso machines?
- What should I look for when buying a coffee maker?
- What is the difference between espresso and coffee?
- What causes crema in espresso?
- How long does an espresso machine last?
- Why are espresso machines so expensive?
- What does BAR mean for espresso machines?
- How many bars should a good coffee machine have?
Automatic coffee machines buying guide
Before we start with the list, here are some things you should keep in mind when buying a coffee machine:
The price of coffee machines ranges from cheap to very expensive. So decide on your budget and look for the best coffee machine that comes under your budget. You will find tons of options.
If you’re buying a coffee machine for your home, then you will want to consider a smaller capacity machine. But if you’re looking to buy a machine for your shop, then there are also machines which are larger and perfect for commercial use. So choose a machine which matches your requirements.
- Brewing temperature:
A good coffee machine has a brewing temperature of about 196°F to 205°F. So if you’re buying a coffee machine, then look for one which can brew at high heat.
There are some important features that you might want to have in your coffee machine. If you are an absent-minded person, then an auto-off switch would be great for you. A water filter is also something that you might want if you like the pure taste of the coffee.
- Ease of clean:
If you’re looking to buy a coffee machine, you should also consider into account the ease of clean. Some coffee machines are very complicated to clean. It takes up a lot of your time. So look for a machine which is easy and simple to clean.
If this is your first time buying a coffee machine, then it’s best to buy an easy-to-use machine. Coffee machines have different functionalities. Check the features and choose the simpler one.
Both Automatic and Semi-automatic machines are very similar to one another. However, in an automatic coffee machine, all you have to do is select your desired beverage, and the machine does everything for you. The automatic machine also controls the flow of coffee shot by itself.
In a Semi-automatic machine, you will have to add pre-ground coffee and then manually control the coffee shot as well.
Semi-automatic is more suitable for an experienced barista. So if you want a coffee machine for your home, it’s better to choose an automatic coffee machine. I always drink my coffee with a glass of seltzer water, so if you are like me, you might be interested in making your own seltzer water at home. If so, check out article regarding seltzer water machines here: https://www.bestof.info/best-seltzer-water-makers/
The best automatic coffee machines under $500 that are on high demand at this point are:
- Gaggia Brera Super Automatic Espresso Machine
- DeLonghi ESAM3300 Automatic Coffee Machine
- Cuisinart EM-600 Automatic Machine
- Breville BES500BSS Bambino Plus Machine
- DeLonghi ECAM23210SB Machine for Coffee
- EC860 DeLonghi Espresso Maker
- DeLonghi ESAM 2600 Super-automatic Coffee Machine
- Automatic Buona Mattina Coffee Machine
Top 7 Best automatic coffee machines reviewed
Gaggia Brera is a great automatic coffee machine that comes under $500. It has a reservoir capacity of 40 oz. Which means you can make a decent amount of coffee at home. It is simple and easy to use and does a great job. Just add the coffee beans on top, and it will do the rest with the touch of a button. It also has a feature that allows you to add your own ground beans. You can also select the strength of your coffee.
- It has a ceramic burr grinder. This means that you can make your coffee with either whole beans or pre-grinded beans.
- It has a Pannarello steam wand which pushes air directly into the milk. This creates a nice foam.
- The brew group can be easily removed for cleaning
- Both the dreg boss and water reservoir can be pulled out from the front. This makes for easy access.
- The machine heats up the steam very fast. It takes no more than 30 secs.
- The buttons and LED screen on the machine are used to use. They can be used for making a list of drinks.
- It is very cheap for what the machine offers.
- It can make different types of coffee.
- The machine is super compact, which makes it easy for storing.
- It has a rapid steaming feature.
- It makes no sound and is very quiet.
- The grind of the coffee can be adjusted along with the strength of the coffee.
- The brew group can be easily removed and cleaned.
- The puck drawer holds only 5. This means that you will need to keep filling the water and empty the puck drawer constantly.
The DeLonghi ESAM3300 is another great coffee machine which is simple and easy to use. This machine also comes under the $500 price tag. It makes delicious latte and cappuccino. This appliance has two stainless steel boilers, which reheats the machine very fast. If you’re looking for a great coffee machine for your home, this can be an excellent choice.
- DeLonghi ESAM3300 is a compact coffee machine that distributes heat evenly at the ideal temperature. This guarantees a great espresso every time.
- The burr grinder comes with 13 adjustable settings.
- This machine allows you to mix steam and milk manually. This way, you can create your own creamy drinks just the way you want.
- The control panel is simple and easy to understand. You can adjust the temperature, cup size, and coffee strength as per your preference.
- It also has an instant reheat function. This ensures an ideal temperature for your coffee any time you want.
- The spigot height is adjustable to allows you to use different sizes of cups.
- Its cup tray of this machine keeps the cups warm before use.
- The boilers of this machine are removable. This allows for a proper and easy cleaning every time you use it.
- It has a compact size which makes it easy for storing.
- It has excellent heat distribution.
- Functions very quietly with almost no noise.
- Easy to use and clean.
- Makes terrific Americano and Espresso.
- It has a very small water reservoir which requires you to fill it up with water constantly.
The Cuisinart EM-600 is one of the cheaper super-automatic coffee machines out there. You can brew a perfect cup of espresso and other coffee beverages at your home. It has a removable milk tank. This milk tank sends frothed milk, which is hot and creamy right into the cup for a great barista-quality latte and cappuccino.
- This machine has 19 bars of pressure.
- It has a removable 34-ounce water reservoir, which can make up to 20 espressos.
- It also has a 22-ounce milk container, which makes about six cappuccinos.
- The frothing wand has a feature that allows for automatic cleaning of the wand after each use.
- It has a dual heating system that removes the waiting period between milk and espresso.
- The Drip Tray in this machine is removable. This makes it easy to fit tall cups and to clean up the mess.
- It also features a cup warmer.
- The steam control dial on the machine also makes air to milk ratio adjustable.
- It also has an auto shut off mode.
- It offers a great product at a very low price.
- It can accommodate any size of cups.
- The dual heating system can be very helpful in saving time.
- The removable milk tank is easy to clean.
- Makes a great coffee all in a push of a button.
- The build quality is not the best.
The Bambino Plus provides barista-quality coffee right at your home. It is definitely one of the best on this list. The body has a great build made of brushed stainless steel. It has a 3-second heat up time, which is really fast. This machine provides a rich and full-flavored coffee.
- This machine has an automatic steam wand, which allows you to adjust the temperature of the milk.
- The thermojet heating provides for a fast heat-up time of 3 seconds. You no longer have to wait too long for the best cup of coffee.
- The machine allows you to achieve a balanced and consistent espresso using the right proper amount of ground coffee. Nineteen grams is the perfect amount for full flavor.
- Its low pressure per infusion feature allows for a gradual increase in pressure at the start. This ensures that all the flavors are evenly drawn out.
- The digital temperature control ensures the right temperature of water for your coffee.
- It has a great build quality.
- It also has a very small and compact size making it very easy to store anywhere.
- Super fast heat up time at 3 secs
- It has excellent temperature control.
- The milk frother is also decent.
- Makes delicious coffee fast and easy.
- The body is easy to clean.
- The drip tray is quite flimsy and may spill when removing from the machine.
The DeLonghi ECAM23210SB is another coffee machine that comes under $500. It is a compact automatic machine that allows you to customize how you make your coffee. This compact machine includes all the features of a full-size machine. You can have a great cup of coffee right at your home with this machine. It has a device which can be manually adjusted to prepare a great cup of cappuccino.
- This machine has a settings menu that allows you to adjust the temperature, cup size, and coffee strength.
- It has an adjustable system. With this, you can manually mix steam and milk to make the thickest foam for your cappuccino right at your home.
- The water tank and drip tray can be removed. It makes for easy cleaning.
- It has an indicator to show you when it’s time to clean. All parts are dishwasher safe.
- It has 15 bars of pressure.
- The coffee spout is adjustable to accommodate various sizes of cups.
- Very versatile. You can manually adjust some features to make the coffee as you desire.
- Fits all sizes of mugs.
- The cleaning indicator helps by reminding you to keep the machine clean.
- Low maintenance and also easy to use.
- Makes barista-quality coffee right at your home.
- Very compact and does not take up much space.
- A little expensive compared to other alternatives.
This Espresso Maker is one of the best espresso machines. It makes authentic Italian espresso. You can choose between single, double espresso, lattes, and cappuccino. This machine has a premium body made of stainless steel. The timeless design can also be a great piece for your kitchen.
- This machine makes one of the best Italian barista quality beverages you can find. You can find have a coffee of your preference whenever you want
- The automatic cappuccino system makes a perfectly layered Espresso. The foam produced by this machine is rich, dense, and long-lasting.
- This machine has 15 bar of pressure.
- The adjustable controls in this machine allow you to make modifications to your favorite beverage.
- The machine is able to maintain the optimal temperature. This allows you to brew several cups instantly.
- The bottom tray of this machine is large enough to accommodate different sizes of cups.
- The removable water tank is easily visible.
- The water reservoir is easily removable, making the cleaning process easy.
- It includes a three-in-one filter holder.
- It dispenses hot water for hot chocolate, tea, or Americanos.
- Makes one of the best foams.
- Adjustable for your taste.
- Easy to operate.
- Holds all sizes of cups.
- Does not have a grinder
ESAM 2600 is a convenient automatic coffee machine. It has a pretty decent sized reservoir. The water tank in this machine is front-loaded, which makes it super convenient. The bean hopper also has about half pounds of beans. You can make about 12 espressos in a single load. It also allows you to adjust the cream to foam ratio.
- This machine comes with a 47-ounce reservoir.
- It has a filter so you will not need to descale the machine.
- This machine has a 13 setting, which allows you to customize the coffee to your preference.
- It includes a Bypass Doser. It allows you to add pre-ground coffee.
- The main panel allows you to have control over the amount of coffee and water hardness.
- It has an intelligent feature that indicates when your bean and water containers are empty.
- It also has an automatic switch-on feature along with a stand by mode.
- Easy to use
- Automatic cleaning with rinsing programs
- Can use either ground or coffee beans
- Can brew two cups simultaneously
- Coffee shop quality at your home.
- You can customize your own coffee.
- Noise can be a little high compared to other products.
With this coffee machine, you can recreate all your favorite drinks from the coffee shop. It is one of the best machines you can have at your home to make barista-quality drinks. It has a great display which is very easy to use. You can make a variety of drinks using the options available.
- This product has a touch screen system with an OLED display. You can operate it easily.
- It is a BPA (Bisphenol A) free product.
- The sides of this product can be opened. This makes cleaning the coffee machine easy.
- The capacity of its bean box is 250 grams.
- It also gives you the option to grind your coffee beans the way you desire.
- This product also has an in-built cleaning system.
- It has a tight-fitting lid. This keeps the beans fresh for a long period.
- This product uses 19 bars of pressure to make a perfect crema.
- Can prepare a variety of hot beverages; espresso, cappuccino, latte, etc.
- It is portable, making it ideal for traveling.
- Heats water quickly so you won’t have to wait long for your cup of coffee.
- A little more expensive as compared to other products.
Having a proper coffee machine will make your life so much better. There are different kinds of machines available. Make sure to check the list properly and find the best coffee machine for you. Consider all the features and choose the one which is durable and easy to operate.
1. What is a fully automatic coffee machine?
A fully automatic coffee machine is simply a “one-click” machine. First, you need to grind and pack your coffee beans into the machine. Then, all you have to do is select or press your desired beverage and step away. This machine automatically controls the flow of water and coffee shots. So, you do not have to worry about the coffee spilling while you step away and do other works. For this reason, this type of machine is widely used in commercial set-ups since it is time-efficient.
2. What is the difference between automatic and semi-automatic espresso machines?
Both automatic and semi-automatic espresso machines are quite similar. Both machines require you to do some work. You will have to grind and put your coffee beans into the machine slots. The only difference between these two machines is the control over the flow of coffee shots.
While in a semi-automatic espresso machine, the flow of coffee is manually controlled by pressing a button or by pulling a lever. In an automatic machine, you have to press the button of your desired beverage, and the machine automatically stops the flow of coffee shots after the preset time.
3. What should I look for when buying a coffee maker?
When buying a coffee maker, you should remember to check some details like the features, ease of use, etc. Also, the purpose of purchasing a coffee maker.
If you are buying it for a commercial center, then you would want to focus on buying a coffee maker that is meant for the heavy workload. Also, certain features like auto-switch off or automatic cleaning systems are all beneficial for you.
4. What is the difference between espresso and coffee?
Both espresso and coffee are made with coffee beans. However the difference between two lies in:
Coffee Beans: Coffee beans used in espresso are finely crushed and powdered while the beans used for making coffee are medium-ground
Method of preparation: The coffee beans used in espresso are roasted longer than the ones used in coffee.
Method of extraction: For making an espresso, hot water is usually forced down the ground beans. This method also forms the crema on top of the espresso because of the oil present in it. While making a cup of coffee, the flow of water is milder and slower. Since the grounds are slowly mixed with water, coffee does not have crema on top.
In general, espresso is stronger and slightly bitterer than a regular coffee in taste. This is because of the high content of caffeine.
5. What causes crema in espresso?
While making an espresso, hot water is forcibly pushed through the crushed coffee beans, which are tightly packed. This process creates the crema on top of an espresso. The presence of carbon dioxide gas in coffee beans is mixed with water that forms microbubbles. These bubbles then mix with the natural fats present in the espresso and tend to rise on top. This creates a fine layer of foam on top known as the crema.
6. How long does an espresso machine last?
The lifetime of any machine lies in the hands of its owner. Espresso machines usually last for a good five to ten years, given that it is properly maintained. You can also replace some parts of the machine if they tend to break over time, instead of replacing the entire machine.
7. Why are espresso machines so expensive?
Unlike other coffee beverages, espresso is prepared in a more intense and structured way. Even the slightest mismatch of a method will result in degrading the quality of your espresso.
Thus, the equipment and parts used in a good espresso machine must be of high-quality.
Also, espresso machines that are used in commercial centers usually tend to make over a hundred cups of espresso per day. Only the best quality machines can take such a heavy workload.
Thus, because of the high-quality in-built features and parts of an espresso machine, the price is generally higher than other coffee machines.
If you want to purchase an espresso machine, then you should invest some money on buying a good one that would last you for years to come.
8. What does BAR mean for espresso machines?
Many of you must have heard that an espresso machine uses 9 bars of pressure while preparing a great cup of espresso. A “bar” is a term used in measuring the pressure of the atmosphere.
This simply means that an espresso machine needs to make a pressure that is nine times more than the atmospheric pressure while pushing down water through the coffee beans.
9. How many bars should a good coffee machine have?
Generally, a good coffee machine should have 9 bars at a minimum. This can give you a good cup of coffee. However, different people have different tastes. While 9 bars of pressure can make great coffee for some, some people go up to using 15 bars of pressure for their desired coffee.